Sunday, March 17, 2013

Celebrating Cara


 
13 years ago today ... in those fuzzy moments between slumber and awareness ... I wished myself a "Happy Birthday" --  and resolved to find Caraleigh.  
 
 
 
You see, I'd longed for a little companion for years.   That is, of course, when my life became perfectly aligned.  (right....)  
 
I'd always known the little stranger would be a "Caraleigh."
... that she'd possess a sweet disposition, sleep in her own little bed and obey my every command.
  
Well, 1 out of 3 isn't so bad.   I still smile remembering the early days when my boss asked, "So, which one of you is the 'alpha'?"   (Umm, it ain't me, babe.)
 
Funny face!
 
Shortly thereafter, DH and I met, moved across the country and were married ... and I slowly learned to trust another to love and help care for my most precious possession.  
      
As is expected in canine years, my girl began to slow.  She had to be lifted beside me ... on the computer, while reading or simply cat-napping.  
 
A trip to the vet confirmed a heart murmur and meds were given.   No real cause for alarm, so they said. 
 
But early Tuesday morning, I spied Cara gazing this way and that ... seemingly at nothing.   "Are you looking at angels, baby?"    Had I known of the anguished telephone call I'd be receiving in a few hours, I'd never have left for work.    
 
Friends, I'm so sorry for this self-serving pity-party.   Perhaps, in time I'll take it down.  Right now, however, I can't recall a time when my heart's been so shattered, and I feel a Need to write.    
 
These last few days, I woke-up  ...  surprised and a bit disappointed that I did.   
 
Yet, I realize it's me who needs to heed the reminder I'd speak to Caraleigh every morning we were together:  "We give thanks to Mr. God for this new day, little girl ... let's rejoice and be glad in it." 

June 20, 2000 - March 12, 2013

 

12 comments:

  1. It has been 62 years, but I remember how you feel. I only had my black Cocker, ACE, for 3-4 years, but I lost him. I was in Jr. High. Yes, my heart was broken. I buried him in the back yard. I knelt and prayed on his grave for many nights.

    So yes, it has been along time but I do have an inkling how you feel about Caraleigh. But I was a kid, and dad said you will love another dog. I did, but I never forgot Ace. At 74 I can remember him like it was yesterday.

    Peace to you, and ((HUGS)). The Sun will shine again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. did I get this write in the writing, Myra, that today is your birthday? If so, Happy Birthday. But I am sad this this year is a sad one for you with the loss of precious Cara. She looked so sweet; I know you will miss her. I like how you greeted each new day with her and what you said. Koda's my prayer partner.

    again, I am soooo sorry ofr your loss.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so very sorry, too. Caraleigh was absolutely gorgeous and I know what a companion and true part of your life, a pet can be. I've loved and lost two dogs in my adult life (never had a pet as a child), and now we have Vern, our third and seemingly most precious of them all. Maybe because we rescued him as an "old guy"...! I send you warm hugs and a shoulder to lean and cry on, dear M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost our 14 year old lab last month and we are still feeling the pain. They truly become a part of our lives and our hearts. Sweet hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very sorry, too...I know how bad it feels to love a beloved pet. I'm sending you some extra hugs this morning! Your friend, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am sorry you lost your little girl fur baby. I understand a putty party. If we lost Disco I would have a big one! I am so so so sorry.

    And so close to your birthday.

    Love, sandie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Myra, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your sweet baby. I'm sorry I wasn't here for you at the time of the post. I'm sorry too that it happened so close to your birthday, I am so sad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Myra, my heart aches for your loss, because I too, have experienced it. May you hang on to those happy memories of your little fur baby. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Myra I am so sorry you lost your sweet girl! This is the worst kind of pain! Thank you for your friendship here and thank you for being such a sweet person. Hug those sweet memories to your heart. I know we are in a special club together. Hugs Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those we love never leave our hearts. Sending hugs and prayers across the miles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a little late here, Myra, but wanted to express my sympathy over your great loss. Our pets fill our lives with so many wonderful things, including unconditional love. It hurts so much when we have to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so, so sorry to read this. A chunk of your heart is with your dear girl forever. It leaves such a hole in your lives when you lose a loved pet. It's been a year now that we've lost Jake, and the tears still come...the sting is still there. We share your pain...we really do. Doggone it, the little loves just don't live long enough!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!