Sunday, February 3, 2013

Just lay your head down ....



.... and cry.

So early this morning, DH discovered me sobbing silently (sort of) at the computer.   Giving me one of his, "I don't 'get' you, but I love you anyway" looks, he continued on his way.   

Were I to share the source of my tears -- in this case, learning (late) that one of my heroines had passed away -- he'd be likely to say, "Oh well."    

Please, don't get me wrong!   T's not without feelings; like many a fellow, his triggers are more carefully concealed.  

I wasn't always a cry-baby!   For most of my life, I was more inclined to burst into tears if I was really, really angry.  (Personal losses aside ... they're too deep for mere tears.)

But every now and then, my insides get to feeling heavy like a thundercloud ..... for no particular reason!   (Is that just a "girl thing"?)
And, I SO identify with what someone shared,  "After a good cry, I always feel cleansed, like my heart and mind just rubbed each other's backs."    
... Note to self:   Must schedule a time, place and most importantly, a Prompt.   

Here are some of my favorite go-to's:

The Other Side of the Mountain 
Bridges of Madison County
The Deer Hunter  (I dare anyone to sit dry-eyed through Meryl Streep's, "God Bless America"!)
Cast Away
Saving Private Ryan

(While I love happily-ever-after films as much as the next person, the "keepers" are those which leave me feeling I've been pushed through a wringer.)

Have you any recommendations?

For now, it's time to put on a happy face and enJOY this glorious Super Bowl Sunday!

Hugs from Phoenix!





         

8 comments:

  1. I've been crying at movies since I was seven years old. I was watching Ingrid Bergman in "Inn of the Sixth Happiness" and was sobbing. My mother said, "It's only a movie," and I replied, "But it's so sad." The other movie that reduces me to puddles in "How Green was my Valley" and just about any other WWII movie, but these two come to mind right away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other side of the mountain is one of my favorite movies. What an inspiration Jill was.

    The notebook is another wonderful movie and a real tear jerker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think a good cry can be beneficial and healing and comforting (except for the headache afterwards). All great movies you listed to make one cry. I hope you enjoy your Super Bowl Sunday!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is Shadowlands - I love it. But I like your as well. Love, sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes it just 'hits you between the eyes' and you cannot stop it. I seldom cry at death, but I do cry. Usually it is a written word, that I try to relate to my wife, but it won't come out, due to the choking back tears.
    Oh yes, I think it is good to cry, sometimes it is good to cry 'together'.
    Good entry... Thanks...
    (((HUGS))) from clermont, FL

    ReplyDelete
  6. God gave us the ability to cry for a reason. I find it so therapeutic to have a good boo-hoo. It's cleansing and healing. I love men who cry to y. It makes them seem more human.

    As for good bawling films, hmmmmm .... I'm not much of a movie person but will give it some thought. I enjoy the reruns of the television series, Touched By An Angel. They always leave me in tears.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to watch a good tear jerker sometimes, too. It does cleanse you and make you feel all mellow when it's over. I cry watching Mama Mia. I know that sounds crazy but the scenes with her daughter make me cry...all out bawling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I get older, I get "tearier" Cried over a dragonfly which drowned in our pool - I tried to rescue him but by the time I got there, he was gone/ Today I looked at the spot I set him under a tree (hoping he'd recover) and of course his little body is gone. Don't know why that bothered me so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!