Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Ship's Life



There are few things I enjoy more than being aboard an ocean-going vessel!   Thank you mom and dad, for instilling that passion in me early on!

Still, I don't expect there's a man, woman or child out there who wasn't a bit repulsed (or frightened) by last week's accounts from those aboard the Carnival Triumph.  

But isn't it heartwarming to hear passengers giving kudos to the crew!

Though I've never been aboard a Carnival ship, I'm blessed to have made some abiding friendships with other ships' mates.   Having witnessed their living conditions, and knowing how tirelessly each and every one these men and women work .... I wanted to share some 'truisms' recently posted on a FB group page by a former crew member.   Another point of view, if you will.

- Days of the week become countries
- Taking a bath is considered a luxury
- You have to be a contortionist to shave your legs
- When you talk about how to spend your "hours off" not "days off".
- You have to turn on the tv to see the weather outside
- When almost every night as soon as you close your eyes the alarm goes off
- Where you can get drunk for $5
- Hangovers can be blamed on seasickness
- Hours back determine when parties are
- You haven’t had 10 minutes alone since you walked onboard
- Arriving at a new country usually consists of finding the free wifi
- Sleeping in?
- You haven’t known what day of the week it is for 6 months
- Being screamed at by a passenger condones chugging a beer on a bathroom break
- Being solely responsible for tens of thousands of dollars with no sweat
- Happy hour can be every hour.
- Working less than 10 hours is considered to be "an easy day".
- You know there will always be white rice for breakfast/lunch/dinner
- Partying with your bosses
- It’s been 4 days since you’ve stepped outside
- You’ve just spent a 13-hour day with the same people, so you go to dinner and
happily spend the rest of the night with them
- You can survive with 3 pairs of jeans for 6 months
- You smile even if you’re having a bad day
- When you’re in the real world you stop yourself from saying hello to
random people walking past you

- Walking across the hallway and knocking replaces the need for a cellphone
- If you get a job on land you’ll feel naked without a name badge
- You’re so far from home but seem to be surrounded by your family.



Do you enjoy cruising? 
... Or, have last year's accounts from Italy (and more recently the Gulf) changed your mind?

Have a wonderful new week, everyone!



7 comments:

  1. VERY GOOD & TIMELY entry. We have cruised with Carnival twice, and will again IF we cruise. We are thinking of flyig to Europe on our next benge. LOL. But I can understand those statements by crew members and yes I whole heartedly agree the bragging on the crew was awesome.
    Amazing, my latest bookcover contains a close up of the Triumph Pulling in next to us on our last Cruise I believe. Now I am rethinking the cover I will go back and check methinks you can read the name. I might leave it or haze it.

    Enjoyed the read SO MUCH. neat.
    ((HUGS)) from Wildwood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it made me think - they got another cruise - $500 - and their bath robes. Then they finally get settled and it's a 7 mile ride to catch a plane!!! That will make them happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been on a cruise; would like to some day. I would imagine the workers do work hard on them; but what an adventure to at least be close by to some of the ports the ships pull into.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cruises although it's been years since I've been on one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been on a number of cruises and really enjoy them. I've only been on a Carnival cruise once and it's not one of my favorites. One of my fantasies is a cruise on the new Queen Mary around the British Isles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to go on a cruise. I tried to one time - flew to Puerto Rico, got on the cruise ship and it never left dock cuz the workers went on strike before dawn. Next day got off the ship, flew back to Chicago, booked a new flight to Florida and ended up going to Disneyworld. That could only happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never wanted to go on a cruise (fear of deep water, although I love, love going to the beach). I would consider an Alaskan cruise, and I think I would actually enjoy a riverboat cruise down the Mississippi River.

    Thanks for sharing what most of us never think about.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!