Saturday, January 5, 2013

Comin' around again



Well, the relatives have returned to Florida, integration at my workplace is "almost there" ... and this dervish has just about recovered from her crash/burn.   (Figuratively speaking, that is!)   One too many whirls and attempted "Martha Stewart's" resulted in my waking the other morning, believing I'd been run over by a Mack truck.

In truth, somewhere among the holiday cleaning/baking/decorating ....and last-minute Guilts (did I do enough?), I caught a nasty case of Melancholy.
Ironic, isn't it?   It doesn't seem that long ago, I was sitting in my wee condo, longing for rooms-full of loud and loving family/friends ... then Christmas Eve, I wanted nothing more than to retreat to that quiet condo and curl up with a good book.
(What prophet was it who sang, "You can't always get what you want ...")  lol.

That was then ... and well, This is Now.

So, I've been pondering my own Key (word) for 2013.... a rudder, if you will.

Last year's "Observant" didn't always serve me so well ... most recently evidenced by my being pulled over by the police early one morning for a burnt-out license plate bulb.   ("Seriously, the license plate has lights?")
My heart just wasn't in it.

Authentic?   I tried it on.  After all these decades, I'm finally growing comfortable in my own skin ... not beating myself up over a silly gaffe' or remembering not to speak Texan while in public.
But no ... authenticity doesn't always bode well in the workplace.   (Surely, someone can relate?)

Grateful?
Yes, that feels Just Right.   It's a repeat, but one I'm apt to overlook when the chips are down and Melancholy threatens.




Right now I'm most Grateful for each of you, whose posts encourage ... challenge ... tickle my funny bone ... and in short, make me want to be a better person!  

Thank you, and Happy New Year!



7 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I love that graphic, I have to remember it to thank God for another chance every single day!

    So sorry about the melancholy; I think that is something a lot of people feel around the holidays; so much stress associated with it all. I'm glad to see you are feeling a bit better these days!

    Grateful is a great word and something we need to all be more of (me especially).

    Probably going to post my word of the year come Monday or Tuesday :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY NEW YEAR sweet friend!!!
    I hope 2013 is off to a great start and you are loving every day...welcoming it with a smile....
    Well, for me. I am COLD....I have been Warm the past few years...this year I am freezing.....I also decided to purge and clean out alot of stuff.......so alot of collective memories come strolling along....and I was sad several days myself thinking about HOW FAST time is going....
    scares me to death
    hugs 2U
    jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous post! I believe that melancholia always follows Christmas, family gatherings, after hub-bubs of any kind where we had to scurry to get things ready, and anticipate, and worry over pulling it all off.
    It's a natural let-down...it's like a fog settles over us, and makes us numb, and feel regretful. (Heck, it seems all of 2012 was spent in this fog at my house!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to you. We're already a week in and I'm still humming Christmas carols.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you're melancholy, and I totally get how that happens after Christmas and as the new year begins. It does it to me regularly. I love the choice of grateful, and that visual at the end is well said!

    And... I had NO IDEA that license plates had bulbs either. Huh? I guess "observant" isn't my word either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely went through a melancholy few days, but that seems to have passed. Getting together with Lonni tomorrow and that has perked me up a lot. I am grateful for your friendship and send you hugs across the miles. Wish there weren't so many between us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year 2013! I think the holidays often hit us with the blues! I have felt teary all of December! Grateful to know you here and enjoy my moments reading over your thoughts! Thanks for the friendship!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!