Friday, November 16, 2012

In the President's Secret Service



A recent e-mail began, "If you want to know what a rich man is like, ask his servants…"

Goodness!   My mind's appetite was practically sitting up and begging.    (Yes, I've probably watched "The Bodyguard" one time too many! ... lol.)


Note to self, "Buy that book!"

One review begins ...

"Never before has a journalist penetrated the wall of secrecy that surrounds the U.S. Secret Service. After conducting exclusive interviews with more than one hundred current and former Secret Service agents ........... Ronald Kessler reveals their secrets for the first time."

My impressions?

Never mind what side of the aisle you prefer, I think there's enough "fodder" in Ronald Kessler's book to enlighten and surprise even the most jaded amongst us.

Anecdotal snippets of life in and around 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. had me LAUGHING out loud in places ... shaking my head in others.

Reassured ....that my all-time favorite First Lady is regarded so highly.

Saddened ... that another favorite Lady of the manor wasn't so nice after all.

Shocked .... at a former VP's public dressing down one of his children:  "If you don't do well in school and don't find a good job, you might wind up like one of those guys." (Gestures to his Service detail)."
(.... now, wouldn't that make a fella willing to take a bullet in the line of duty?)

OK.  I was probably hoping for a salacious, tell-all book about life behind closed doors.
While there's plenty of personal stories to amuse (or irritate) ....  inter-agency politics n' posturing is right there as well.

While I thoroughly enjoyed Kessler's book, it also prompted me to look back and chuckle at my own naivete' when confronted by the Secret Service at my workplace.   (A long, long time ago in a land far away.)

______________

On a personal note, baby Guca finally arrived Monday morning, happy n' healthy!   While she wasn't given a name for several days (aaaargh!), we're excited to go meet our #9 grand, little miss Vivian Kelly tomorrow.
Thanks for all your well-wishes, and have a blessed weekend!


9 comments:

  1. HI!!
    I hate my lap top....this is my 4th attempt at writing a comment....I WILL Run out and buy this book!!!
    hugs,
    jamie
    keeping it short this time...maybe it will work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to all on Vivian Kelly's arrival! What a pretty name! I'm sure you are excited to see her! What a blessing!

    Interesting book; I think I would enjoy reading it. Hubby and me talk sometimes about how it would be to be a Secret Service agent, especially guarding past presidents and their families. I'm thinking its a good thing I have no desire to get into politics; I don't think I could have people around me like this 24 hours a day (not faulting them, I think they do great work in their protection and their taking a bullet, I just like my space :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, congrats on the sweet new baby! My dear friend is Vivian. She is an ovarian cancer survivor. I truly love the name. It is a beautiful name and it means "lively"! I have been reading up on First Ladies! There have been some amazing women in the white house throughout the years. Always a pleasure to visit you here. I find the Secret Service to be fascinating individuals. Their job is certainly a stressful one and I don't think it would be for me! Have a terrific weekend. Hugs, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you on Vivian Kelly's arrival! I love that name - my daughter is Kelly. I love Vivian. I'm sure you are excited to see her! That is such a blessing. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good book. I enjoyed your review. Vivian is a lovely name. Lucky you as you get to cuddle with her!

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good read indeed. Congrats on your #9! What fun for you all to welcome the new babe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well first, congratulations on the new arrival! I love babies. GRAND babies are greatly anticipated and hoped for around here.

    As for the book, it's on my list to read too. I have read some snippets and am anxious to read more.

    Have you ever read Upstairs at the White House?
    (http://www.amazon.com/Upstairs-White-House-First-Ladies/dp/069810546X )

    It's from the perspective of the head butler (not the right name but something like that.) It's wonderful. I read it years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Audrey is ADORABLE! Myra. Congrats on Vivian Kelly's blessed arrival. Enjoy that wonderful baby ... don't you love the smell of new babies, makes one want to snuggle them so closely forever.

    TY for staying with me ... this has been a very VERY trying time in our lives.

    TTFN ~
    MERRY CHRISTMAS ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by to say hello! Much joy with the arrival of Vivan Kelly. What a lovely name.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!