Sunday, February 5, 2012

Book Review: Emory's Gift

.
... with apologies to those who do so well, I'm compelled to attempt a book review!

Publisher's Summary
After 13-year-old Charlie Hall’s mother dies and his father retreats into the silence of grief, Charlie finds himself drifting lost and alone through the brutal halls of junior high school.

But Charlie Hall is not entirely friendless. In the woods behind his house, Charlie is saved from a mountain lion by a grizzly bear, thought to be extinct in northern Idaho.

And this very unusual bear will change Charlie’s life forever.
___________________________

I wholeheartedly agree with one reviewer's words:  ".... a page-turning, insightful look at how faith, trust and unconditional love can heal a broken family and bridge the gaps that divide us."

Personally?   Were I not a fan of W. Bruce Cameron's previous book, I might not have given Emory's Gift any consideration.
  
Unfortunate, perhaps.  Yet, when selecting a book (i.e., friend) I'm nervous to venture outside my comfort zone.

Adolescent social misfit?  Ya.   But I've never been a lonely 13-year-old boy ... nor inclined to the fastastical.   How could I possibly relate?

Well, it's been a long time since a work of fiction has touched my heart in this manner.  After the final page, my mind just wouldn't let go.... like trying to come fully awake from a night filled with vivid, bittersweet dreams.

The narrator allows that folks sometimes ask, "Did it really happen?" 
... and I'm reminded of J.M. Barrie's sweet line from Peter Pan, "If you believe, clap your hands!"

Yes. I'm clapping!

(P.S. - If you've read this wonderful book, I'd love to hear your impressions!)
      






10 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with this author, but I'm interested now. Just thinking about March...I'll be in Arizona this time next month. Lunch?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi M.... Never heard of this book but what a great review. You made me want to go pick it up. Hope you have a super week

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious for sure. Not familiar with this author's work so I enjoyed your review. Nice job, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a former (OK, current) fantastical kid, I think I would like this. I'll be looking for it.

    And btw, I love the way you wrote this review. You ought to do it for a living. The Peter Pan part was wonderful.

    Debbie... the one who is constantly clapping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Sweet Myra...
      Oh this book sounds wonderful. I hope you will share it with me. I would love to read it. Your review has enticed me.

      We must get together again soon. I have missed you dear friend. Another day of shopping as well. Yeahhhhh.

      Talk to you soon. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

      Delete
  5. I think we have this at our library! Thanks for the tip...am always on the lookout for a meaningful, good read! Hope all is well in AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey you know the other book you recommended about the dog - I got that and read it. It was great - I forgot to tell you that. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make it sound pretty enticing, Myra. I am so piled up with books right now & not in the mood ...

    Today we are having beautiful snow adorning us. I see you are enjoying some warmth ...

    You two are going to have such fun going to lunch & shopping again ... envy here. Hug my sister for me.

    Have a wonderful day ~
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. What a great review. I've never heard of this book and probably wouldn't even glance at it but your review is fantastic. Thanks M...for the heads up on the book. You make it sound so awesome. hope your weekend shines

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, thanks for sending me into the archives. I loved the review. Believe it or not, I have a book in the oven, just thoughts now called Oh Johnny or Little Johnny or just That boy Johnny. Taking it from the Appalachian Trail where Jerry meets Johnny in the Smokies and promises to send him thru college. He loses his mother and rebels I do not have much of a out line, just ideas under Johnny! LOL
    Thanks I like this. I will read it after I write this one about Johnny. I do need a catchy title, I might ask around once I get it underway!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!