Sunday, January 22, 2012

Contrasts

.
How are you, today, my friends?


It's a beautiful, crispy day here in the desert!  
Winter (as we know it in Phoenix) has been kind.   Tho' I wax poetic for icy tundras -- something out of a scene in Dr. Zhivago, perhaps -- my conscience reminds, "You're soft."      

You see, the other morning as I approached the office several golfers were unloading their "stuff" ... calling greetings to one another.   "Dang, but it's COLD out here!"  (Unnoticed, I nod in agreement.)   His buddy retorted, "You're such a whuss!"

Guilty!   Bundled and swaddled in layers, I step faster, anticipating (another) steamy mug of coffee.   Yet, come mid-afternoon,  I glimpse tourists clad in shorts and tank tops ... some, headed to the pool!    The "momma" in me wonders, "Are they out of their ever-lovin' minds?"  

Another thing: why is it, that food seems to taste soooo much better in the winter?   The aroma of hearty breakfast-fixings likes to make my toes curl. :)  

So yesterday, I baked to my little heart's content (whoa, someone call the Movietone News) -- then huddled 'neath an afghan with a book and a glass of red.  Heaven.  All's that's missing is my fantasy fireplace.   Oh, and the sight of icicles outside the window. (Sigh.) 

It's true, each day comes bearing its own unique gifts.  
Wishing you all the sort of coming days which make your toes curl!



7 comments:

  1. The Superstitions in winter, not exactly like the Grand Tetons, but I love the sight. But remember that in just a few months, we will be able to thaw out in the 110 degree weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too cute, Myra! I guess the only way I'm going to get you out here is from May to Sept. Chuckle! It is a shiver me britches day here, soft snow flakes, the fireplace crackling, oatmeal cookies going in the oven.
    Have a beautiful day ~
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I love the way you write. Excellent. I would like what you long for-----for a little while, but not long. Thanks for your comments on my post. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to dream about being in different places too - haha. So it is okay to be cold and want to be warm! Love, sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just loved reading this. I feel like I'm sitting there listening to you talk. And I live in one over cold place. Winter had definitely kicked in up here. Dreaming of beaches and sun and warm. Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI MYRA!!
    You know I live in AZ, so I agree with you 100%. I do think our winters are Dry and Cold, too cold for a pool and shorts and a tank top, but hubby had on shorts yesterday!!!!I am far to cold for that, I am normally on the warm side, but something about being sick and staying in, now when I go out, it feels nippy to me!!!Not freezing but cool!!!But I love Az and these winters and all make the LONG HOT SUMMERS easier to handle!!You have a talent for writing for sure and you paint a pic I can see!!!!
    Do you work at a resort or golf course?????Lucky you!!!
    happy 2012!!!
    Big hugs,
    jamie
    thank you for all your kind words while I was ill!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I confess to being a chronic weather complainer. I have decided that it's neither the heat of our summer nor the cold of our winter (not that it gets cold) but the humidity of each that drives me crazy.

    I think that certain foods taste better depending on the season. Creamy stuff is better in the winter to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!