Saturday, June 11, 2011

You say it best, when you say nothing at all???

.
Steve Goodier asks, "Have you ever noticed how hard it can be to find the 'right' words?"

There are "Hallmark" individuals whose eloquence seems effortless. 
And then, there's me.
 I struggle.

Without benefit of facial expressions or body language, we're left to supplement our words with smiley faces, hearts and italics.    Allison Krause's lovely lyrics just don't cut it.  "When you say nothing at all" might just be interpreted, "No-one cares."

Wait a minute!... I don't mean this to sound so serious!

I saved one of Goodier's recent articles (lifesupport.com) because it made me laugh out loud ... and helped me realize, there are lots of us in the same boat!   Here is an excerpt:


There are times I am certain the right words don't exist.
What's important, we try. 


It was once said that Al Smith, former governor of New York, was making his first inspection of Sing Sing prison.  The warden asked him if he might say a few words to the prisoners.

The governor began, "My fellow citizens."
But he suddenly felt confused about whether the inmates may have forfeited their citizenship.

So he took a second stab at it.  "My fellow convicts." 
There was a roar of laughter and now he became flustered.   He gallantly tried a third time: 

"Well, anyhow, I'm glad to see so many of you here."

There is no record of what he said after that.


As Goodier says, we try.  And in the end, isn't that what really matters?
.

7 comments:

  1. "To speak and to speak well are two things. A fool may talk but a wise man speaks. " Abraham Lincoln

    I love it!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what Annesphamily said. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, this is funny! Makes me stop and think about all the dumb things I have said/say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The times I am without words I've found a hug or hand shake does the best. And when I'm really searching for just the right words I send up a quick prayer for help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI!!
    do you have a follower button????
    I could not find it!!
    jamie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!