Saturday, June 18, 2011

This is Why

.


Feeling unable to write is embarrassing .. and habit forming.

Perhaps, my intertia is due to a need to act "correctly"
... and the accompanying fear that I'll sound foolish.
Or worse, chronically negative.

If you can't say anything nice ....


So then, why I do I blog?



Several years ago I discovered one of my favorite authors maintained a blog of her own.  Before I knew it, I'd devoured the whole of her down-to-earth, often humorous reflections.

Her website invites feedback, and though I've never been given to "fan mail" I posed a question and hit "send."   Her thoughtful reply, only a few hours later, expressed surprise that I'd read her entire blog.  "Wow, Myra.  That must feel like reading my autobiography ... which, I suppose in a way it is."

Have you seen that popular slide show set to Gabriel Garcia Marquez' "final goodbye"?    One phrase just "popped" --
Nobody will remember you if you keep your thoughts secret.  Force yourself to express them."

I suppose, that is why I blog.  The good, bad. and occasionally. the ugly.  

What do you say, let's encourage one another to share what they feel.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me. Although I still think I interact with some of the more intelligent bloggers! At least they interest me. Your blog is a great place, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds perfect to me - not only encourage them to share what they feel, but if they feel different - let them express it w/o fear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely. In fact, a friend has just tipped her toe in the blog waters this weekend and asked me to take a look and encourage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you blog...b/c you do....I've met you. And your words...your thoughts always make me smile. Have a great week out there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Myra! What a nerve you hit with this post. The Old Salt has been trying for quite some time to convince me that my blog should not be undertaken like a job, but, only written for myself and without regard to how many hits, comments or followers it gets.

    But, I am compelled by the need to see my words and photos in print even if it must be a blog on this crazy thing called the internet instead of a best selling novel or the cover of Life magazine. And, if no one tells me that they have seen my stuff for good or bad I feel as if I failed somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for visiting Not Accidentally and leaving a comment. I love this post about not keeping secret your thoughts. I struggled with thinking my writing wasn't interesting enough at first, but I truly love blogging. I have another blog too---Tin and Sparkle. I read in your bio that you are a Red Hatter, me too---I have so much fun in the great orgainization.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely agree!!! While I don't think we should air all of the dirty laundry in blogland, I do believe we must write from a place of honest emotions and feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find great comfort in my blogging friends who allow me to post honestly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!