Saturday, April 23, 2011

Beholden!


Like my parents and grandparents before, I've a convoluted sense of pride; of independence if you will ... that's prone to backfire on more than one occasion.    

You see, I'm practically allergic to ask for help.  More comfortable in the role of giver, I'm not keen on feeling obligated.   Isn't that silly?

This week, we are focused on Jesus' having paid for our sins.   To receive ~ with grace ~ that which God has done for us ... I'm happy to be beholden!

I hope you enjoy the following parable.  Miles apart, I'm reminded we not only feed ~ but are fed ~ by one another's caring and concern.   Again, I'm happy to be beholden! 

* * *
A holy man was having a conversation with the Lord one day and said,
Lord, I would like to know what Heaven and Hell are like.'

The Lord led the holy man to two doors.  He opened one of the doors:

In the middle of the room there was a large round table.  In the middle of the table was a large pot of stew, which smelled delicious and made the holy man's mouth water.
The people sitting around the table were thin and sickly.  They appeared to be famished.  They were holding spoons with very long handles that were strapped to their arms.  Each found it possible to reach into the pot and take a spoonful.  However, because the handle was longer than their arms they could not get the spoons back into their mouths.

The Lord said, 'You have seen Hell.'

They went to the next room and opened the door.  It was exactly the same as the first one:  There was the large round table with the large pot of stew which made the holy man's mouth water.
The people were equipped with the same long-handled spoons, but here the people were well nourished and plump, laughing and talking.

The holy man said, 'I don't understand!'

'It is simple', said the Lord.  'It requires but one skill.  You see, they have learned to feed each other.'

  Wishing you all a most blessed and JOYful Easter!

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! I wish you a beautiful Easter day! Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED THIS! I LOVE IT! Thank you it is so true.

    Happy Easter.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great! happy Easter to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Myra. I'm glad you let me know about the linky. There should be 60 links there but it's only showing 48. Yours is #49. I sent a message to McLinky. I hope it gets straightened out.
    Have a wonderful Easter.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can identify with not wanting to ask for help. But working with the church and not being able to do it all by myself I had to learn to ask,plead, beg and delegate. It's all part of becoming a leader. This is a great post. Thanks for posting. Have a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by to wish you a bright and blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!