Friday, February 25, 2011

Holy Curiosity

.
So, one of these days I hope to have an original thought to share!
 
.... 'til then, here's an excerpt from last week's LifeSupport.com's e-feed.   In a way, this reminds me of a favorite lyric from Les Miserables --  "You might know how it feels, to be struck to the bone in a moment of breathless delight ......"
  

~~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Not everyone has a good grip of science. But these children's scientific musings at least show a healthy dose of creativity.

Concerning astronomy, one child said, "Most books now say our sun is a star.  But it still knows how to change back into a sun in the daytime." 

Another added, "Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun. But I have never been able to make out the numbers."

Another student offered this advice: "To collect fumes of sulfur, hold a deacon over a flame in a test tube." (Ouch.)

These young people are just starting a path of life-long learning.
But I wonder, as they learn more, will they still feel awe when they see a falling star? Even if they are able to describe a rainbow in scientific terms, will they still be amazed at its incomparable beauty?  

And what about matters of the heart and the spirit?   Not everything we experience can be measured. How does one measure love and beauty and faith?

Albert Einstein's called scientific curiosity "holy." The physicist said, "The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical.  He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead."

I still want to wonder and stand rapt in awe before the splendor of life and the universe. This is a place of holy curiosity; a place where spirit and science merge.

And it's a place where my soul can be at rest.

-- Steve Goodier

22 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Myra. Interesting picture too. Steve Goodier writes good stuff. My post this week is not original either. Like you, someday I hope to post something original but I find others have said so many good things so much better than I can.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are good Myra. No worries there. That was an intersting picture - and you're right - I wonder what the future will hold for our young ones and what they will think and learn...

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool, thoughtful post!
    Your photo reminded me of a cat's eye marble!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I have to tell you that at first, I read this title like Robin from the old Batman series.

    Holy Curiosity, Batman!

    Now that I've gotten that off my chest...
    I loved his thoughts. It has long been my prayer for my daughters, especially one particularly brainy one, that she always stands in awe of a God that she can't possibly wrap her brain around.

    Great post.
    I'm glad you shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, tweaking our interest. I like that ~ Holy curiousity. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the above comments. Excellent, my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for this Myra....good post...have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am one who loves to look at the stars and the beauty of creation. We don't have to look very far to see the evidence of a Creator.

    So many scientists are skeptical and try to reason away creation. However I believe that creation proves science and science proves creation.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The most awesome thing I have read in the Bible is that Jesus Loves Me. The picture you posted reminds me that Jesus is also watching over me. Good Post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I have enjoyed reading it.
    Be filled with wonder...
    Be touched by peace...
    Much Blessings,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love matters of science and faith. And I love that Einstein called scientific curiosity holy. May we always acknowledge the Creator as we wonder at this beautiful world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. good post and I love the wisdom of children.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed this encouraging post today. The photo reminds me that God's eye is constantly on me. Thaks for sharing. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Not everything we experience can be measured." So true--like the love of God, the beauty of His creation or salvation through the blood of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great post,I appreciate all of your post no matter where you get them.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good thoughts, sweet smiles from the kids comments - not to mention your adorable dog picture (my grandchildren would love it!), and awesome God Who created the wonderful world we are blessed with! Thank you for a lovely Spiritual Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent post. You are good at reading and sharing. This blesses us all. You have excellent thoughts in the comments you make. I hope we never lose the sense of wonder and awe. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Myra,

    Thanks for sharing this excerpt. I love these statements:

    "Not everything we experience can be measured. How does one measure love and beauty and faith?"

    How indeed!

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope I never lose the awe of God's beauty and holiness. And I hope I always remember to stop and thank him. My pastor's wife quoted scripture as we spoke of applause about His creation. She said when she saw all the white sparkling snow Sunday morning she stood up and clapped!

    Love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your description of the children sure gave me a chuckle. Lovely, post.

    So nice to have your face show up on my FB page. And, your thoughts on fang are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This post deserves a second comment, especially since you left such a sweet one on mine. I look forward to hearing from you again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!