Saturday, January 22, 2011

Good enough?

.
I'm really fond of the messages Kristin Armstrong shares in Work in Progress  ... one of those down-to-earth, absolutely relate-able books that beckons me time and again.
This morning, for example!

Still feeling the effects of an ugly head-cold..... discouraged by Hesitation that's defined recent thoughts:  "What if I fail?"
... I let my fingers go walking for an andedote to that old "what-if" monster.  

May I share an example from Ms. Armstrong's guide?

"Being good enough means letting go of expectations, and focusing on the areas in which we truly do have something to offer.  God has given each of us unique and precious gifts; (and) when we use these gifts for His glory, we start to become good enough by proxy.

When we try to be and do the things that are outside our true selves, we turn into strivers.  Strivers are people who endlessly struggle for perfection and end up with far less than good enough.

Good enough means being able to accept who and where we are with grace and gratitude and being content with ourselves as works in progress.

....The more we go to God and experience the steadfastness of His promises, our confidence builds.   Not confidence in ourselves, but confidence in an almighty God."

What can I say, but "Amen"!   Have a wonderful day!!! 

11 comments:

  1. You are right - being good enough - is just being anc accepting who we are - and that GOd madeus that way. Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. And can I add amen? I think good enough has a very bad reputation and I like to think I've done something that's good. Maybe it's not fabulous, but definitely good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully stated ... I second the AMEN!

    Have a beautiful week ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is soo true..that confidence builds everytime we go to Him. And I just love that little dog with the big ears at the top side of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great message. I've definitely got the good enough part down. It sort of hit me when I turned 40. When people complain about others, I always tell them they have to stop having expectations. When you expect others to be something they aren't or to act in a certain way, you will always feel let down. Best to let go of all that and just be. Best wishes to you, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMEN is the first word that came to my mind also. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very wise advice. Thank you for sharing it with us today.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is much to be said of being who we are in Christ. Then whatever we do reflects the characteristics of Him. Then we can't help but draw people to Him. What a fantastic honor. God bless and thanks for sharing, Dr. Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank-you for this today,I have learned this the hard way.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that I can go to God for confidence. I just wish I always remembered it first. I waste time looking elsewhere. Good post.

    Btw, I loved the tomato quote on the last quote. I laughed out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mevely,

    Thank you for sharing these timeless words of encouragement. "When we try to be and do the things that are outside our true selves, we turn into strivers. Strivers are people who endlessly struggle for perfection and end up with far less than good enough...Good enough means being able to accept who and where we are with grace and gratitude and being content with ourselves as works in progress."

    I have known the futility of striving to be what I'm not. The energy exerted in striving for more, and the frustration of experiencing far less. I'm learning to trust God as my all, rather than relying on my skills, talents, or intelligence to work things out in my behalf.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!