Sunday, December 26, 2010

Happy Day After!

.
Whew!  Is Christmas 2010 really over ... so quickly?
(cue sound-bite, "Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.")

I hope you all enjoyed helping create warm and lasting memories!

That said, I caught myself on Christmas Eve feeling curiously detached. My mind kept replaying scenes of long-ago celebrations ... names and faces who've journeyed  ahead....
...The next moment, trying to imagine how you, dear friends, were experiencing that Holy night.  (Oops!, does that make me a voyeur?)

DH's daughter and her family opened their doors and their hearts again this Eve:  She and her dad so enjoy re-creating the traditional Polish supper ... an acquired taste, yes. :) 

Regretfully, we all just learned her mother is gravely ill.  I couldn't help but wonder, how many others feel compelled to "put up a jolly good front" -- while their insides are behaving like a rock tumbler.

In keeping with "the times", our gift-giving was more frugal that we'd prefer.  How I long to watch my loved ones' eyes light up when they uncover a treasure that speaks to their hearts... to hear, "How did you know?".

So, no -- there were no BCS Championship Game tickets in my stocking yesterday morning ($1,049-and-up at last glance ~ isn't that crazy?) ....
.... But there's no way I'd trade my son's new family portrait ... the railroad-tie Cross ... or a grandchild's sweet hugs!    

So, how was YOUR Christmas?   Yes, I'd really enjoying hearing!

6 comments:

  1. We had a nice quiet Christmas. A twelve pound very moist turkey with trimmings, and stockings. Jim surprised me this year with an open heart pendant sprinkled with sparklies. A total surprise. Josh created a home made calendar that I just love too. Spoke with daughter, sibs, so all in all, a nice Christmas. Like you, I thought of the past, and what the bloggie gang was doing. Funny isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a very nice day. The snow held off for today and I got to my friends in Brooklyn. It was a small group and sadly two of the older generation couldn't join us as they weren't feeling well. The only child in the group -- and he's going on 12 -- enjoyed his gifts and we had a great time playing with a scrabble set he'd gotten. Lots to eat and lots of fun. Santa brought me two adorable water bottles, one with polka dots. I can use them and need them. Today was a get together with other friends, but tomorrow and back to work may be quite a letdown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sweetie...
    I am so tickled to hear that you had a lovely Christmas with family. Sorry to hear about the grave illness in the family. You all have my prayers.

    Another over cast day today, but it sure beats the snow they are having back east doesn't it? I enjoy a little cooler temp, but NO rain and NO snow. Sounds as though we are getting some rain this week. Yuck. I dread that.

    Maybe this year we can get together and spend a day just hanging out. I so enjoy visiting with you sweet friend. You are one in a million.

    Many hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about the bad news - I am sure there were a lot of put on smiles to keep people from finding out bad news on Christmas Day.

    We had a very lean Christmas and it was one of the best ever!

    Merry Christmas.

    Love,
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wondering if you're seeing any of that AZ snowfall? Best to you in '11!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry about the sick relative. Gee, I wonder if you will grow to love the Polish food? Bet you set up a cooking blog and show us all what to do! Some of it can be kind of gross, you know? Love you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!