Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Road Less Traveled

Simple Pleasures ...ah, what a concept!  Even on my worst days, everyone's stories just bring me right back!   Come on along and visit awhile!
_______________________  

So, I'm not unaware of my friends and colleagues' fond(?) ridicule:  "Don't ride with Myra if you want to get there in a hurry!"

No, I'm not a particularly slow driver.  Avoiding the interstate is a conscious decision to arrive at my workplace in a good mood ~ stress-LESS and untroubled by the jostling, defensive posture that permeates I-10's morning rush.

Somedays, the hour-long drive seems a blessing:  Plenty of "me" time to energize -- or, at day's end, to decompress.
Right brain, left brain .... ReeeeeeVERSE!

The first 20 miles or so, there's but a smattering of vehicles, several empty miles between stop signs. Not much thought process required.

Ah, but that final stretch?  You know, when all systems go on alert for the dreaded "Type A"  -- that motorist who darts here n' there, in and out of traffic lanes like a hummingbird on crack.

Ya, I still "sweat the small stuff."   But, once in a while, Life presents an opportunity to smile............







16 comments:

  1. I always take the back roads! No freeways for me. I always arrive on time, also.
    (Never had a speeding ticket either!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't blame you for wanting to avoid the interstate. You found a good way to remain stress-less by taking the back road scenic route! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myra,
    Good for you! It takes a lot, sometimes, to go against the tide! You go girl! Good Simple Pleasure today. Thanks!

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this! I'm a back-road kind of gal, too, and find it so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give me the back roads too!! Definately less stressful. Smart move-your friends could learn a thing or two from you lol!! blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have much of a choice but to take back roads since I live in the sticks. But you know, I think like you I would choose them regardless.

    I love that you do it intentionally. That says a lot about you in my book. I totally agree that it's the way to add more simple pleasure to the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the back roads too...will avoid interstates at all cost, we lose out on all the pretty scenery along the way that helps me destress.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always look for the road less travelled. :) Hard to find in Kuwait but I do avoid the highways. And the best thing to do is stay home on weekends and evenings when it is obvious things are gonna get crazy. Hope you are having a great day. :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to drive alone sometimes its me and GOD time !!! love your simple pleasure

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back roads have always been a fave of mine...I like going down alleys too, to see back yards and such. The corgi kids and I are always on a scope and seek mission...whether it be animals, autumn color, hawks in flight. You're on the right track Myra!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, it's funny you say that - I avoid the interstate, too. I'd just rather drive on the city/neighborhood roads where people act like they have a bit more sense. I hope you have a lovely day. I'm visiting from the Simple Pleasures party. Stop by if you get a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can so relate. I hate driving the highways....you made me smile ☺

    ReplyDelete
  13. I take the expressways if possible - but when we have to take the simpier way - and I make my mind up - we have a good time.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I zip down I-17 to work, but it's only 7 miles that I'm on the interstate! Ha. I like the back roads too. You Phoenix gals are courageous drivers. Once I get back to Dodge, I must slow down...it is often that I have to pass someone on horseback. (I can hear you laughing from here.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How I remember the hour long commute- glad you can avoid some of the bustle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Luxury flights are generally deluxe flights that have expensive and high-class accommodation and several other frills. An abundance of space and extra comforts complete with a lavish environment are essential to luxury flights.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!