Saturday, September 25, 2010

I can stand what I know.  It's what I don't know that frightens me.
-- Frances Newton

Not every day do we rise with the strength needed to do our part.
Fear of the unknown, often referred to as "free-floating anxiety" catches up to most everyone on occasion.  

It's a given, fear cannot exist where there is faith.  Nevertheless, certain obligations and scads of "what-if's"  recently threatened to undermine my confidence ....reminding me of faith's absence.

Reluctant to ask for help, I instead sought counsel in a favored book of daily devotions.  In part it read, "Reach out, be attentive to others -- and the connection to God will be made."

"Shifting (the) focus from self-centered fears to another person's needs offers us a perspective on our own life.  It also offers us a chance to let God work through us.  Our own faith is strengthened each time we offer our services to God and to a friend in need.  What may frighten us seems less important the closer we are to the people in our lives."

So, I'm not saying I felt poised - particularly when the power went out!  But once I took a deep breath and turned my efforts "inside out", those crazy fears were certainly dimished; almost forgotten!           

As Christians, we are charged to reach out to others with compassion, with love.  In turn, our answers will be realized.

May your Today be especially peaceful and pleasant .... aren't we so incredibly blessed?!

12 comments:

  1. A nice lesson to be reminded of. Turn our efforts “inside out.” Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi friend. I'm coming over from Spiritual Sunday. Your post really hit home. So often my focus is on me, my busy schedule, my job, my kids....blah, blah, blah. How can I expect to hear God if I won't stop complaining. It is whem I quiet my thoughts and allow God to speak to me through others, that I really learn the most. God bless you for bringing such a good message.

    Yoli :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was taught that when I'm in dire need of prayer, look for someone else who is going through the same thing and pray for them. Amazing the power of this kingdom principle as I get my focus on them and not only me! Have a great weekend, my friend. (Autumn is here; when will the temps drop????)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good word about putting others before ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post on how God offers us a way to not focus on our fears....by helping others. We are human, so fears arise...but God speaks of those fears so often in the Bible..providing ways of escape from them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to be reminded that it's not all about me. Thank-you for this important post today.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great advice. Thank you for this reminder.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can stand what I know. It's what I don't know that frightens me. -- Frances Newton

    Amen! Great quote!

    God bless you and have a nice week

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. Very wise. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for your prayers for my aunt. You kindess and warmth are sincerely appreciated.

    yoli :)
    http://apronsenorita.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!