Saturday, August 14, 2010

Your Valuable Friends
by Steve Goodier .................http://LifeSupportSystem.com


I heard a story about an older woman who stood in line at the Post Office. She struck up a conversation with a young man next to her. He noticed that she had no packages to mail, and asked why she was standing in line. She said that she just needed a few stamps.

"Ma'am, you must be tired standing here. Did you know there's a stamp machine over there in the corner?" He pointed to the machine built into the wall.

"Why yes, thank you," the lady replied, "but I'll just wait here a little while longer. I'm getting close to the window."

The customer became insistent.  "But it would be so much easier for you to avoid this long line and buy your stamps from the machine."

The woman patted him on the arm and answered, "Oh, I know. But that old machine would never ask me how my grandchildren are doing."

She had a need greater than the need for postage stamps - a need to feel connected to other people. And it was a need that could not be met by a stamp machine.

When Harry Truman was thrust into the U.S. presidency at the death of Franklin Roosevelt, a colleague and friend - Congressman Sam Rayburn of Bonham, Texas - gave Truman some fatherly advice.

Rayburn said, "Harry, from here on out, you're going to have lots of people around you. They'll try to put a wall around you and cut you off from any ideas but theirs. They'll tell you what a great man you are, Harry. But you and I both know you ain't." Friends can say those things to each other.

Later, when Sam Rayburn discovered that he was seriously ill, he told his friends in Congress that he was going home to Bonham for medical tests. "But there are excellent doctors and medical facilities in Washington D.C." some of them argued. "Why would you want to go to Bonham?"

"Because," the congressman replied, "Bonham is a place where people know it when you're sick, and where they care when you die."

Rayburn had a need greater than good medical assistance. He needed friends. Someone to ask how his grandchildren were doing. Someone to sit by him and stop by his home. Someone to care. A few close friends meant more than the best medical facilities in the world.

Who is such a friend to you? That person is more valuable than your greatest possession.
Have you said ... thanks?

Excerpted: LifeSupportSystem.com
_____________

On a personal note, I want to send a big bouquet of thanks to all who held my DH in your prayers earlier this week .... his news was good.
Still, we are honored to hold those who are fighting the Good Fight in our hearts and our prayers. 



15 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the music that is playing. We have this on a CD and I listen to it often. As I listened to it and read your excellent post I found tears in my eyes. I guess it's a part of getting older. I cry a lot lately.....I want you to know I didn't forget to pray for your husband and his painful procedure. I pray that his health problems will improve. Don't we live in a wonderful time when things like this can be cared for by people who know how to help us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear your hubby got good news, too.
    God is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just popping by to say hi!!! Glad your hubby got good news....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sweetie...
    Such a beautiful post today. I love the post office story. Isn't that precious, the young man wanted to help her with time, but at her age she realized that it is about more than time, life is about connecting with another human being on that particular day.

    I have kept your DH and you in my prayers sweet friend. I am so thrilled for the good news. God is so good isn't he?

    Have a great day sweetie. Please know that I think of you, and so love you. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all need each other, just smile could mean so much to somebody.
    Great post. Glad to hear the good news about your husband.
    Praise the Lord!
    Sweet Blessings,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely post. Connecting with others is so important and having friends is such a precious gift. So glad your husband had good news this week. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make an excellent, excellent point, as usual. I'm thrilled for the good report about your DH. God is so good! He cares! Praise Him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a great post...so true...about the need for connectedness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post and inspirational stories. It's so important for us to take time to talk to others and look to help others, including the seniors God puts in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent post. Thank you for the reminder that what people need is other people who care about them.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad that we can openly ask for prayers,I'm happy for the good new.God is so good to us. This is such a great post today, and emotional.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post. Joining in thanks for your husband's good news.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hiii .... glad to see your blog, I am a blogger Indonesia. Welcome stranger!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad your hubby got good news too. I love the post office story - I'd much rather have a real person myself. Sandie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!