Saturday, July 10, 2010

W.W.J.D.

So, there are many people who have a fascination with professional wrestling.  
Personally, I don't get it -- but on the other hand, it's so great to have that clear display of black and white: 

Here's the Good Guy who must be loved at all costs, cheered for at all costs.  (Never mind that 3 months ago he was the Bad Guy. Now he's shaved.)   There are no compromises, no exceptions, no wondering, "What's the truth behind that?"   There's no "behind that."  There's just the Good Guy.

And by the same token, it is nice to have such a clear-cut Bad Guy.  We can "boo" him no matter what, anytime he comes out and salivates and points his finger and makes amazing threats.  We can "boo" him without any sense of fear that we're doing the right thing.  Because he is the Bad Guy.

I'm reminded of a story our pastor shared years ago: 

He had been talking about how silly wrestling is, so many federations and acronyms ..... and how that's a symbol of everything that is wrong with everything.    One gentleman -- one you might call a "bull-dog believer" -- was right there on the front row.   And there, on his wrist he wore a bracelet from one of those wrestling federations -- the W.W.J.D.
Pastor was infuriated .....he didn't know what it really stood for!  (It's important to know the whole story before we act, isn't it?) 

What Would Jesus Do?  It's a wonderful thing to have heroes like that!  It is a powerful thing.  When we get into a spot and don't know what to do ..... when we have a lot of paths but we're sure that only one of them is going to lead us where we want to go ... it's a good thing to ask, "What would Jesus do right now?"

But there is a challenge.   When we think about a hero that is so big, doing things that are so awesome,  it becomes difficult to imagine, what would Jesus do in my situation? 

In Scripture, there's a story about Jesus and the money changers, there is a story about Jesus and the woman at the well. 
There's no story about Jesus and the emergency room, Jesus and the bad stock tip, Jesus and the office.

So, if those kinds of things are in my life, how do I apply what I find in Scripture to my situation?  I have to think about it... pray about it:  What is my adversary?  What is the "bad guy" in the wresting match I'm experiencing?

And I remember how many presences and powers there are in the Universe -- there is but one God.  Knowing that, if I have this Bad Guy out there who is stopping me from whatever it is, then I begin to realize something important about that Bad Guy - it's not real.   There is no more room for whatever that Bad Guy is. 

God gives his children life...  It is time to live.   God gives his children strength...  It's time to get past it.  God gives his children love...  It is time to get done with fear.

17 comments:

  1. What a great post. I love your final paragraph. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me think and I like that. I need to ask myself more often WWJD!

    Love ya,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. me too...your last paragraph is the absoltue best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post….WWJD is a question we should ask ourselves more often.
    Joy and Blessings,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sweetie...
    You will never know how much you touched my life this morning. I love this post. What a beautiful share.

    I have been on lockdown in the house for 2 1/2 months with complications from my asthma and lung complications. I spent 8 days in the hospital. On Friday I went back to the doctor and he told me they would not be releasing me to go outside or back to work until July 19th. Not only can I not go outside but I cannot use my voice either. I have been so hoarse from coughing that hardly anything will come out. I sat and cried.

    God gives his children life... It is time to live. God gives his children strength... It's time to get past it. God gives his children love... It is time to get done with fear.

    Thank you sweet friend. Thank you. God led me here this morning.

    Country hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. WWJD--This is a hard one. Only as we walk in the Spirit...constantly seeking Him and abiding in Him. I want more of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post with wonderful insight. Very thought provoking......I always appreciate the kind words you leave on my blog. You are a great source of encouragement in my life. Thank you for being there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What ever path I choose I'm always thinking about the Lord and know he is with me. This is a great post, thank-you.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. How true! There is no room for the bad guy any more. Without asking ourselves what Jesus would do, we are in danger of giving room to the bad guy. Thanks for a great post. God bless. Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for a great post. 'It is time to get done with fear.' He has given us all the tools we need to get past it.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have two of those bracelets - and they do hold you accountable. Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry that I have not answered you! You visited me so long ago that I am almost ashamed!! I just cannot seem to get back into blogging. I was so in it for 5 years and then for some reason I just cannot seem to get back. You write very well. So nice to hear from another Sister in Christ...Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just sent your mailing information to the publisher for a copy of Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh. I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed this post very much.
    All so true.

    Thanks for coming by tonight...
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good Morning Sweet Friend...
    Just popping in to see how you are doing. I have missed you. I pray you are well. I am still trying to battle this darn illness with the lungs. The doctor yesterday gave me two more weeks of silence at work, and at home as much as possible. I so miss my old voice. I am still very hoarse, and they are afraid that they coughing has permanently taken my voice and that I won't get it back. I will still believe that the big guy upstairs knows that I need my voice, and it will come back to me. Please keep me in your prayers.

    We still need to have that lunch one of these days. I would so enjoy seeing you again.

    Much love sweetie...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your last sentence is powerful and true.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!