Sunday, July 25, 2010

Home again, home again....

.....Jiggidy, jig!

I love this quote by the late, great Erma Bomback --
"Myths that need clarification: 'No matter how many times you see the Grand Canyon, you are still emotionally moved to tears.' 
False. It depends on how many children the out-of-towners brought with them who kicked the back of your seat from Phoenix to Flagstaff and got their gum caught in your hair."

...Just kidding! My grands have outgrown that stage -- tho' I can still identify with the unrest sheer boredom that accompanies a road trip far, far away from any teenager's Real Life.

Did we have fun?   Ooooh, yes! ... from time to time, I even forgot about being The. Adult.Who.Must.Set.An.Example!

My favorite mental snapshots --

...The Grand Canyon isn't just a place you go down a few steps and stare at a big hole in the ground. (Chloe, age 12.)

...Sooooooo gorgeous!!!  (Oh, not the Canyon - rather, a young desk clerk at our hotel; or! the shirtless Frenchman sunning himself on the overlook -- certain "eye candy" to a certain 16-year old - who shall, of course, remain nameless!)

I learned....

...How it feels to be woefully out-of-shape :(

...That a Blackberry device isn't really all that mysteriously difficult (are you listening, Santa Claus?)

...What a Kardashian is (are?) .. and why I should care?

...I really need to learn more about my adopted State's rich history. (No, I'm NOT smarter than a 5th Grader!)

...I've finally reached the age where I just don't care if anyone stares when I throw a quarter in the box and jump on a mechanical pony.

...and finally:  How wonderful it feels to simply sit and stare at these incredible creatures who allow me to share their lives.  I feel so blessed!!!
Is this the fun part yet?

Boo, grandma!  (We weren't actually moving - if so, I'd probably have bit my tongue in two!)

This was actually taken for magazine's photo contest - cross your fingers!!!

Fearsome Foursome at Jerome!

I may have met this gal at a Red Hat event before?

5 comments:

  1. Good Morning Sweetie...
    What a beautiful post today. I love the photos of the family. I am crossing my fingers on the magazine photo. I hope she wins. It is beautiful.

    I have never been to the Grand Canyon and we have lived here for 25 years. Tony and the kids have gone twice. Both times I had a broken foot and couldn't make the trip. Just my luck. Always a day late and a dollar short.

    You look so well sweet friend. Yes one day SOON we will have to have that lunch together. I have missed you immensely.

    Many hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos of your trip! Thanks for sharing your beautiful family with us today. Glad you had fun; you rock, Gram for sure.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh - I just went to the Grand Canyon with my family in June. It was soooooooooo awesome. Can't say the grandson appreciated as much as I did.

    So do you know Sherry? You must live near each other. She seem so nice.

    Glad you had such a nice time.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girlfriend, What fun to visit each other on the same day and get to meet the rest of the family. Love the pic of you with the girls. So cute. Beautiful little gals and just the funnest part of sharing time with them isn't it. Funny stuff. Love you sister, Mollye

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!