Saturday, June 12, 2010

Terms of Endearment

Reflecting, it had been a pleasant day.  Exiting the office, I wished a co-worker, "Good evening" -- then stopped in my tracks at his response:  "Ma'am, good evening, ma'am."

Instinctively (foolishly), my head swivels around.  Who is he calling "ma'am"?

My bad.  Poor Henry's practically stuttering, "Miss.  I mean, good evening, miss."

Stifling the urge to giggle, I paused to consider.  Surely he's not intimidated?  By me?  A recent hire, this man - a boy really - is not yet accustomed to our "behind closed doors" informality.

On the other hand ...
Since my Southern "grands" could form a sentence, they're addressed their parents and grandparents -- all adults as "Sir" or "Ma'am."

Methinks it's touching; a lost art, if you will.  What a difference from the acquaintance who calls her parents by their first names!

'Sounds old-fashioned, but I'm still loathe to address "certain folk" by their first names -- unless invited to do so.    Don't get me wrong, I'm no "Miss Manners" .... rather, terrified of making a spectacle of myself.

Somedays it's a sticky wicket!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mevely Thanks for visiting today and as to your post on manners. Weeeeeeeel being a southern belle saying ma'am and sir is just second nature to me, but an irritating quirky of mine is when people address you as "Lady". I don't know why but I've always been rubbed wrong. NOT being referred to as a Lady but addressed as Lady instead of by my name of just by "ma'am".

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!