Saturday, June 5, 2010

Spiritual Sundays

In her book, Lessons in Truth, Dr. H. Emilie Cady says, God is not a guy up in the sky who makes us do stuff.    (OK, she says it a little better than that, but that's the essence I recall.)

There are no puppet strings hanging down from the clouds.   If I am going to grow, who's going to do it?  God gives me everything I need to do it, but I have to be willing.   I can't blame misfortune, missed opportunity on somebody else; I can't pretend my prayers are not heard.   

Dr. Cady says, "No parent can grow for their child" -- and all of a sudden I know what that means.  All of a sudden, it isn't what other people are saying or doing. 

One example Dr. Cady gives is so wonderful: 
She talks about a wagon wheel.  Imagine that in your mind's eye!  She says, Imagine you're one of those spokes.  It doesn't do you any good to think about the distance between you and the other spokes.  It doesn't help you be a good spoke, and it doesn't help get you where you want to go.  It doesn't help to think about distance and difference and "how are we going to do it?"    All you have to do is focus on finding your center, that hub which is God.  The nearer you get to the center, guess what?  The smaller the distance between the spokes!

What matters is what I do about it, using what God has given me "in here" .....and that has everything to do with my thoughts, my words and my actions.

It is time to ask, what can I do as a child of God?   Every day is a Gift!

7 comments:

  1. Wow. What a great analogy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree this is a great analogy. Thank you for sharing an hae a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, I think your post today may have just been a great book recommendation for our nest book discussion for our women's bible study group!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is good! And yes, every day is a gift. I am constantly asking how God wants to use me. I'm listening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! A friend of mine always ended his radio program with, "The very next breath you take is a gift from God and you thank Him for it." Every day we breathe and we go on living. It's what we do with those breaths, those gifts, that count. Lord, help me to use my days to be a blessing to you and those around me.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing these words of wisdom.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!