Saturday, May 8, 2010

Walk in my Footprints

Mother's Day.   Since my own sweet mama made her transition, each year's observance is bittersweet .... filled with thankfulness, but too, a sense of loss so deep ... there are no words.  

I think it appropriate today to share a song penned by the music director of my former congregation in Florida.   I can soooo identify with these lyrics.   Perhaps you might, as well?

Footprints
- Sue K. Riley

When I was just a little girl, out walking in the snow,
Following my mother on an errand long ago.
The air was cold, the snow was deep -- I struggled not to fall.
My mother could not carry me, because her arms were full.
So with her voice of love, she said to me:

"Just walk in my footprints, walk in my footprints.
Stay right behind me and I will lead the way.
I know you are frightened, but I will keep you safe,
And you shall know no harm.
Just walk in my footprints."

Just thinking of the many things I learned at Mother's knee.
How to cook and how to sew and my identity.....
She taught me Truth so wonderful in it's simplicity,
And molded me with quiet strength to stand on my own feet.

Yes, I'm the fruits of labor from a carefully tended garden;
Her loving hands have gently sheltered me.
And though while I was small, she held me close within her shadow.
Yet as I grew, she knew to set me free.

Now, where did all the years go?
There's silver in her hair.
Though time has held her gently, her body seems quite frail.
And sometimes she is lonely and needs some comforting,
But the sampling she has nurtured has grown into a tree.
And with a voice of love I say to her,

"Just walk in my footprints, walk in my footprints.
Stay right behind me and I will lead the way.
I know you are frightened, but I will keep you safe,
And you shall know no harm......"
Just walk in my footprints."


Happy Mother's Day, everyone .... and a blessed new week!

13 comments:

  1. A very touching post--thank you for blessing us.

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Meverly, How sweet and wise, was your mother. And the beautiful memories you share here today, touch and bless every reader. This is your inheritance from her, which in turn you have now passed along to bless others.
    Thank you for the encouragement, we all need it. Hugs from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am blessed to still have my mom on this side of heaven but my dear mother in law passed into Jesus arms nearly three years ago. Oh how I still miss her...a bittersweet celebration this Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swwet lycrics. Makes me wonder if it was set to music, and if so, what it sounds like. Beautiful, I am sure! It's Mother's Day. The rest of my family is sleeping so I sit here at my computer desk with my cup of coffee, ready to read more Spiritual Sunday posts. What a great way to begin my day! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wishing you a very happy mother's day...Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Mother's Day Meverly. What a beautiful poem and I don't think I've ever read it. Thanks for sharing. I understand your feelings as I feel much the same, just an acceptance but a longing none the less of wanting to hold my mother in my arms and the gratitude of the lessons I learned from her. Hope your day is full of blessings. XXHugs, Mollye

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, happy Mother's Day, my precious Myra! I love the poem. Really touched my heart.

    Big hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this...Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful!This words to this songe are very touching.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us today,
    Blessings and Happy Mother's Day.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very beautiful Post !
    Blessings,
    ~Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rally beautiful - sorry to be late with Mothers day greetings.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!