Saturday, April 24, 2010

Touching Shoulders


There's a comforting thought at the close of the day
When I'm weary and lonely and sad;
That grips hold of this poor old heart
And bids it be merry and glad.
It gets in my being, and drives out the blues,
and finally thrills through and through.

It's just a sweet memory, that chants this refrain,
"I'm glad I touched shoulders with you."

Did you know you were brave?
Did you know you were strong?
Did you know there was one leaning hard?

Did you know that I waited, and listened and prayed?
And was cheered by your simplest word?

Did you know that I longed for the smile on your face?
For the sound of your voice ringing true.

Did you know I grew stronger and better because
"I had merely touched shoulders with you ".

I'm glad that I live, that I battle and strive,
For a place that I know I must fill;
I'm thankful for sorrows, I'll meet with a grin
What fortune may bring, good or ill.

I may not have wealth, I may not be great
But I know I will always be true.

For I have in my life, that courage you gave,
When once, "I touched shoulders with you!"


The author is belived to be: Lawrence Holtzberry, deceased
Mr. Holtzberry was a member of the Lions Club District 13K (Hebron, Ohio)

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a beautiful poem. Thank you so much for blessing us with it this morning. Have a wonderful Sunday. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love poetry! Thanks for sharing this on Spiritual Sunday. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so blessed when I touch shoulders with you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing it and hope you have a beautiful week.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beauitul poem. I hope that your having a wonderful week so far.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. How touching -thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This poem was written by Hazel Fellman in 1936.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This poem was written by my grandfather an has been plagiarized many times. Touching shoulders was written by my grandpa William Maugh of Homedale, Idaho. He was born Sept. 29 in east Bernard Texas. He died April 11, 2000 in Homedale, Idaho. Its been stolen once so i plan to leave a remark every where I find his poem posted. He was also an accomplished accordion player.
    Thanks,
    Shonie M. Griffin
    There’s a comforting thought at the close of the day,
    When I’m weary and lonely and sad,
    That sort of grips hold of my crusty old heart
    And bids it be merry and glad.

    It gets in my soul and drives out the blues,
    And finally thrills through and through,
    It is just a sweet memory that chants the refrain:
    “I’m glad I touch shoulders with you!”

    Did you know you were brave, did you know you were strong?
    Did you know there was some leaning hard?

    Did you know that I waited and listened and hoped,
    And was cheered by your simplest word?

    Did you know that I longed for that smile on your face,
    For the sound of your voice ringing true?

    Did you know I grew stronger and better because
    I had merely touched shoulders with you?



    I am glad that I lived, that I battle and strive
    For the place that I know I must find
    I am ready for sorrows, I’ll meet with a strength
    What fortune may send, good or ill.

    I may not have wealth, I may not be great,
    But I know I shall always be true,
    For I have in my life that courage you gave,
    When once I rubbed shoulders with you.



    Provided by the Moncton Support Group, written by William Maugh of Homedale, U.S.A.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This poem has been found by me in two books of Collections of Poems. Both books report that the Author is "Anonomous". Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!