Saturday, March 6, 2010

Time after Time

I'd like to share story today about a grandfather clock ... a little parable, if you will.

The grandfather clock was fashioned with patience and great skill by a master craftsman. He took months and months to finish the cabinet, to make sure that the works of the clock were diamond perfect. Then all things being complete, he spoke to the clock: "You will begin your journey. You must tick one tick every second, 60 seconds for every minute, 60 minutes for every hour, 24 hours for every day, 365 days a year ... for always.

He started the pendulum .....and the clock froze. The heart of the clock responded, "It's too much! I can't do it! I'll never make it!"

So the master craftsman said, "Well, let me put it this way. All you have to do is tick once a second, that's all. Let the rest take care of itself." And then the clock began and continued unceasingly.

This is a great task we've taken on. We're on a journey of unfolding our Christ-like nature, yes ... but if you've driven on I-10 lately or read the newspapers, then you know we've a way to go! Nevertheless, we can't just sit down; we're committed! So, the best thing is to learn to embrace with patience - even joy - every single moment.

I've heard it before, from the poems of Whitman: "This world isn't offering us the old smooth prizes, but new rough prizes. These are the days that must happen to you."

So I can wait. After all, our souls are eternal!

15 comments:

  1. :-) I like this! Have a wonderful Spiritual Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An absolutely wonderful way to get your point across. "...embrace with patience -even joy-every single moment." Oh my, will I ever learn this lesson. I've struggled with this all my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great parable! One step at a time. One tick a second.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was great. I can't tell you how much it blessed me. A wonderful lesson to embrace and learn. Have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really helps me Myra. This past year has been a rough one!

    Love ya,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this..really helps put things in perspective.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up with a grandfather clock (actually it was a grandmother clock) and so this meant even more to me. What a great story to share such truth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always loved grandfather clocks. I love the clock story. We need to live in the here and now and not worry about "ticking" forever. Reminds me of the saying that life is hard by the yard but it's a cinch by the inch.
    Blessings for a beautiful week.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love grandfather clocks! Great story/parable!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  10. This really touched me today. I just read an email from a friend concerning my diagnosis of uterine cancer on Friday and she said remember you only have to eat an elephant one bite at a time....or walk through a jungle one step at a time...now I have the clock one second at a time...I am going to be practicing this in the coming weeks.
    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's easy when broken down into a small step. Thanks for this metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful analogy. I need to remember this in my day to day trails,small steps.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful Post .
    Blessings,
    ~Myrna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!