Saturday, February 20, 2010

Trusting again

Learning to trust, to "let go" is something I've resisted , struggled with most
of my life. Yet, last week I found myself confessing: "I trusted him."

But, I'm getting ahead of myself.

I'm not certain why I was chosen, but my company saw fit to include me in a recent two-day leadership program, facilitated by our Corporate Director of Training... a gifted and charismatic fellow I've known for several years.

One problem-solving exercise still lingers ... if only because it left me at once feeling VERY vulnerable, outside my so-called "comfort zone."

Situated in an empty parking lot, 11 of us were double-blindfolded ..... led this-way-and-that so as to disorient. Then, hands extended, a portion of 50-foot of ski rope was placed across our palms. Instructions were simple: Do NOT let go of the rope at any time. Our sighted colleagues might laugh, but could not offer advice or encouragement.

"You have 10 minutes to fashion a perfect square."

As expected, nervous laughter and chatter ensued. I'm thinking, the Tower of Babel, ca. 2010.
Unexpectedly robbed of vision, I remained in place, trying to to identify the voices around me, to "read" the feel of the sun. Then, above the confusion - a calm, controlled voice. Not a "ringer" or a "plant", my AGM quietly assumed control, offering solutions, suggestions.... feedback.

8 minutes into the exercise, we'd reached a consensus: We felt ready to lie down the rope, to reveal a perfect square.

Of course, this is laughable. Permitted to remove our blindfolds, we assumed oh-so-sweet sight. Then, the Q and A:
Why didn't I speak up; offer a solution?
"Honestly? I trusted Steve."
But you didn't offer suggestions?
"In this situation, there can be but one leader."

I think our everyday challenges beckon us toward the Spiritual working out of any problem. Our fear comes from not trusting in the Power greater than ourselves to provide the direction we need, to make known the solution. One of my favorite devotionals reminds us, "Children instinctively trust those who take care of them. We can learn to trust, once again, when we apply His word to our lives."

18 comments:

  1. Interesting post! I was pulled into it immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust! So important. And first and foremost our trust must be in HIM. You probably have already read it, but if not, you would like The Speed of Trust--The One Thing That Changes Everything by Stephen M.R. Covey. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always like reading about trusting God - so necessary but yet so hard to let go. Thank you for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post on trusting. Have a great Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is indeed hard to let go and "let God" sometimes...But one great thing to remember is that He never changes. It is our trust that wavers sometimes or changes. That was a fun thing you did! Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting exercise; I wish you'd had a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I have to admit I have trust issues stemming from my past. Sometimes, even my trust in God wavers. I don't mean for it to, but it happens at times.

    I was pulled into your story, especially about the part of being blind-folded and ironically, it opened my eyes about having and keeping my faith and trust in God. So, thank you for sharing this.

    May God bless you today and every day!

    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful post about trusting. Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great application. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of this particular exercise before, how funny! Trust is important!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would of been out of my comfort zone also. This was so interesting.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a frightening exercise, oh my! Total lack of control...but, I'm thinking, you gained a lot from it! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! This post really speaks to me about faith and totally trusting God with my life. Not keeping anything back. Getting His plan and walking it out. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trusting isn't always the easiest thing to do, but I'm learning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trusting is so hard, isn't it. But not for kids. I wonder if it's the same spiritually? When we are new Christians, do we trust God more? In my experience, trust becomes different the more we mature in our spiritual walk. It grows deeper, especially over the big issues in life. Not easier, but we're getting there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!