Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Regrets

An old man died alone last month. Well, not exactly alone. The only witnesses -- his many canine companions ... each beloved, but mute.

The news came yesterday morning as I sat at my desk, slightly annoyed by yet another interruption: A "shirt-tail" relative of our SIL had been found Monday evening, midst conditions I'll only refer to as "horrific."

Reclusive by choice since his wife's death, "R" was a pleasant enough fellow. Oh, we'd had occasion to brush shoulders now and then at some family get-togethers, but I never really took the time to visit with him.
Like an apparition, he'd appear out of nowhere... sit to the side, watching the children ... then quietly disappear again. A neatly-dressed, shy little man, sporting an oversize crucifix and a sweet smile.

My heart is hurting tonight for DH's daughter and SIL ~ barred (er, protected) by the police from entering his modest house. Guilt-ridden, I suppose, for not thinking to pick up the phone when many days passed without a word. So busy, we presume all is right under the sun.

I think, too, my unrest stems from a fear of dying alone -- no-one the wiser. How isolated we've become from our neighbors, arriving home each evening and burrowing into our little sanctuaries.

Some years ago I heard the story of a lady who, at her husband's casket, leaned down to whisper: "Someday, please tell me what happened."

I'm not big on making resolutions, but I hope this incident serves to make me more aware of my fellow travelers. Don't we owe it to one another?

5 comments:

  1. I can hear the cry of isolation in your post. I'm right there with you. We need each other in our society and we've gotten so far from caring for one another. It shouldn't be this way. I'm glad you wrote this, making us aware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sweetie...
    How very sad this is. We so try to speak to our children every night/at least everyday. We never want a day to go by that they do not know how much we love them. We are the same with our grandchildren.

    I call my folks at least every other day (3) at the most. As I cannot see them every day, as they are so far away, I need to hear their voices. My brother checks on them every day and sees to anything that they might need, and he is ever so good to keep me posted. He knows the love runs deep.

    Thank you for sharing this. It reminds people of how very short our lives are, never take each others lived for granted and always remember to tell your loved ones, that you love them.

    Country hugs sweetie and so much love...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, we have a deal where we phone one naother by a certain time and if no answer, call the nearest neighbor to ck. If still no answer, the caller goes personally to check on "his charge". Too many sad stories abound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a sad touching post. I hope I have learned something from it. ....Thanks for your comments on my post today. I have never given feeling I was obeying a law. I always gave because I wanted to and out of love. I have just felt that I needed some kind of goal, standard, or target to shoot for. The tithe has served well to keep me from "hanging too loose" and not being consistent in my giving. I think your statement:"I think we feel better,inside, when we make a conscious decision to give with a joyous heart" is a good one. Your church in Florida had been taught well and lived what they were taught.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!