Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Favorite Prayer

Do you recall the first prayer you were taught as a child?, Have you a favorite?

Like so many children, I expect mine was the standard, "Now I lay me down to sleep ....".

Oh, but that line "....if I should die before I wake" was so unsettling! Akin to boogey-men who hide in little girls' closets. Sweet dreams? I'm thinking.... not.

Rather than confiding my fears, come bedtime I'd take a mental detour. The lips are moving, but no-one's home. Gone fishing; wherever.
Even in my adolescent years -- reciting liturgy, the Apostle's Creed, the Nicene Creed: my mind was somewhere else.... far, far away. No, I'm not particularly proud of this fact, but there it is, in spite of my parents example, their best efforts.

Then along came Malcolm Boyd, the "hippie priest." By this time I was attending my best-friend's church -- one which boasted a large youth fellowship, whose leaders who actually seemed to connect. In retrospect, our group was anything but "hippie." Perhaps we enjoyed the shock value? "Are you running with me, Jesus?"

Thankfully I now enjoy listening "on purpose", going inside prayer consciousness. In his book, The Power to Change Today, Gregory Dickow advises us: "Each morning, choose a silent, peaceful place and talk to God. Greet God as you would a friend. 'Good morning, Lord! I'm looking forward to spending the day with you'."

OK, that "peaceful place" would be my car. Backing out of the driveway ... ensuring the garage door is descending ("Houston, we have lift-off.") ... I greet the empty expanse with my favorite prayer:

The light of God surrounds me;
The love of God enfolds me;
The power of God protects me;
The presence of God watches over me;
Wherever I am .... God is!
...and all is well.

Prayer for Protection
by James Dillet Freeman

10 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful prayer! and post.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conversations with Jesus are sweet. Don't you love the mornings with Him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of greeting God as a friend, saying how you look forward to spending the day with him. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my morning bus commute. Some people read, listen to their I-pods,work on lap tops- while others sleep. For me it is a time of prayer and a time for listening... to the prompting of the Spirit. The other day I sensed many people praying for me at the same time... perhaps a bible study group or prayer chain? Scripture and songs of praise suddenly popped into my head. Then, I felt the prescence of an angel overhead. I was so overcome by emotion, I started to cry. God is real. Every so often we need and get those reminders. Praise His holy name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMEN!Absolutely beautiful!
    Thank-you and have a beautiful day,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post today makes me smile. You are an excellent writer. This is a "feel good" post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you like this prayer by James Dillet Freeman, then you will LOVE his poem "I AM THERE," which was actually carried to and left on the moon by astronaut Jim Irwin during the Apollo 15 spaceflight!! The story behind the poem is as incredible as the poem itself, which is why I'm writing a screenplay based on it: "Flights of Angels: The James Dillet Freeman Story."

    The poem can be found at: www.unity.org/prayer/prayersAffirmations/iAmTherepoem.html and I can be found at www.linkedin.com/in/roxanneivey.

    Richest Blessings,
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. We go through many stages in our spiritual life. Sometimes it takes awhile to get on the right track. I'm glad you found your right track.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your beautiful post. Thank you. Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!