Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Friend Who Just Stands By

Oops ... I hope you'll please 'scuze my tardiness!
This little poem means a lot to me; I hope it will touch your hearts as well. Thank you, Charlotte and Ginger, for providing such a warm and welcoming place for us to come together each week!

The Friend Who Just Stands By

When trouble come your soul to try,
You love the friend who just "stands by."

Perhaps there's nothing he can do--
The thing is strictly up to you;
For there are troubles all your own,
And paths the soul must tread alone;
Times when love cannot smooth the road
Nor friendship lift the heavy load,
But just to know you have a friend
Who will "stand by" until the end,
Whose sympathy through all endures,
Whose warm handclasp is always yours--
It helps, some ways, to pull you through,
Although there's nothing he can do.

And so with fervent heart you cry,
"God bless the friend who just 'stand by.'"

...B. Y. Williams - From the book Tea For Two

10 comments:

  1. Sometime we don't even speak. We're just there...supporting, loving. Thank you for all the times you knew I was hurting and prayed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I have used this same poem or one on the same theme many times in sermons. I'm going to post someday about one particular time when I just stood by with a family that lost a husband and a father and what resulted. Thank you for posting this beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing such a nice poem about friendship. I am thankful for you and all my Spiritual Sunday friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very true...just to have someone be there is so important. God bless...and thank you for your prayers. They are a comfort at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the best blessings of God is friends. I love this poem. Thank you for sharing it with us today.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the background music "In My Life" as I was reading that beautiful poem. It was a great time for me to reflect on having a Friend like Jesus and all the special relationships He had blessed us with. Thank you for this. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I am blessed to have several such friends. I wouldn't have known them if it were not for my Lord. He's the best friend of all, of course, although He never just stands by. He takes everything unto Himself.
    Please click here for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful poem. I have never read it before. Thank-you for sharing it today.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!