Saturday, January 23, 2010

What Am I Doing Here?

So, I've been feeling somewhat scattered and unfocused this week .....a chameleon on plaid. Ah, to be still and just listen to the still, small voice!

But wait a minute! Are the messages I hear just wishful thinking? Maybe my own fears are speaking to me? You know, those old elements of mental chatter that tell me, "You're not good enough." There's a feeling God is always speaking, but I don't have the right channel tuned in to hear His call!

How do we know the difference between the voice of Spirit and the voice that we might call "Ego"?

Help is here for the asking, but I need to practice a little silence.
That's hard, you know!

For instance..... Have you had occasion to travel by plane recently? You know, it's noisy! You're in a sealed environment, lots of people are talking, getting settled in .... and then there's this voice over the intercom, telling us about seat belts and oxygen masks and floating devices.
Everyone's too busy to listen.

Here is a test that I've been encouraged to use: If the voice is saying something that makes me feel afraid, intense, or angry, that is not the answer. But if the voice is telling me, "You've got this handled, there is no fear, God is with you." --that is the voice I trust.

God once asked, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" Now there's a call for accountability! A question we ought to have asked ourselves ... were we not so busy.

Perhaps it's good, whatever prompts us to become still, to get alone with our thoughts, our prayers - even if it feels like depression or sorrow or self-pity. OK, it's a doorway. We're going to emerge with a different outlook; we're going to come out of that cave empowered to answer His challenge, "What are you doing here?".

15 comments:

  1. BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD.
    Simple words, but sometimes it is hard to do. We lead such busy lives. We so want to make decisions and solve problems on our own. Our ego does get in the way! Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful reminder to be still and listen to God. Thank you for sharing this. I needed it today.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. This past week we had rain storm upon rain storm and I was FORCED to just be still. It was GOOD week in Him. = ) Thanks for sharing this. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lord has been speaking to me a lot over the past few months about being still and listening to Him. As Whidbey Woman said, "Be still and know is a simple command, but hard to do in our fast-paced world.

    Enjoyed your post.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. Silence is, indeed, golden. Only when we listen, can we truly hear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes practice and discipline. To be still amidst life's bustles. It's focusing on Him and not being bothered by this world's distractions. It's never easy. But He is God. By His grace, we can. If we choose to. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is deep. You may not have intended for it to be--but it is! Thank you for writing something to make us stop and think. This is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How I need to be still, it has been on my heart for so long. I just need time to be still!
    Thank-you,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know - too busy with kids to listen. But I have to make the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Myra, You do not know how timely this reminder is for me. Amazing how the answers come to you when you are seeking them.

    Thank you so much for all the time you have uplifted me with one of your post or a timely visit and comment my way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny you should mention traveling on a plane because we just flew back from Vancouver where we were visiting my son and his family. Up until this trip, I had been very nervous about flying but God has calmed my fears and I'm so thankful for this. Your post is a wonderful reminder to "Be still and listen" to His voice. Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely Sunday and upcoming week.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  12. You need to always check what you hear with the Word of God. I enjoyed your post. Doylene

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!