Friday, January 15, 2010

Legacy

Midst the horror of Haiti's devastation, I nearly missed hearing the following tribute to Miep Gies, written and read by David Harris at AJC.org.
As he says in the last sentence, may we always be inspired.

....and may we continue to hold today's heroes, both here and abroad, in our prayers.
"Be strong and of good courage; be not frightened, neither be dismayed; for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9)


Miep Gies died in Holland this week.

Risking her own life, she, a Christian, helped hide the family of Anne Frank in Amsterdam. After two years, the Franks were discovered by the Nazis and deported to the death camps.

Only Anne’s father survived.

She also was the person who found and hid Anne Frank’s diary, giving it to Anne’s father after the war. “The Diary of Anne Frank” became an international best seller.

But Miep Gies never considered herself a hero, far from it.

She once said: “Imagine that young people would grow up with the feeling that you have to be a hero to do your human duty. I’m afraid nobody would ever help other people, because who is a hero? I was not. I was just an ordinary housewife and secretary.”

In fact, this brave, modest woman exemplified the highest human values during the world’s darkest days.

May we always be inspired by her legacy.


-- David Harris, AJC.org

22 comments:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful tribute to a real hero. I saw the movie The Diary of Anne Frank when it first came out many many years ago. It is such an amazing story. My hubby was privileged to be able to visit the place where they were hidden in Amsterdam.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thank you for sharing this today! I was unaware of her passing. My son who is 12 will be so sad to hear this. She truly is/was an inspiration to anyone who knew about her!

    Blessings to you and yours,
    Loren

    ReplyDelete
  3. She had courage when it counted. I did see this story on the news. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an inspiration! Thank you for posting. (I hope you do look into Tai Chi. I think you will like it and benefit from it)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading these stories - just watched amovoe about a lady who rescued 2500 Jewish children from the ghetto during WWII.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a hero! And what a beautiful tribute to a life well lived.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If not for you I would have missed this news. I'm so saddened to hear this.
    I still have my old and battered copy of Anne Frank's diary as a reminder of the good and evil that this world contains and those shinning stars that God sends to help us all.

    At the moment my world seems a little darker but the heavens will certainly be a lot brighter with Miep Gies's arrivial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a Jew...I am so grateful for Miep Gies and many like her who did the right thing...who didn't turn away....thanks for sharing this. Blessings to you. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. What courage and act of love she had shown! Truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing this news. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw this on the news. Thanks for sharing it here, also, for those who might have missed it.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did hear this on the news but am soo glad you shared it here as well. Such an inspiration. A real hero. Blessings to you, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh-thank you for sharing this! Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing this with us. I hadn't realized such a hero had passed until now. We should all strive to be as she was.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank-you so much for sharing this. I think that this book would be something I would like to read.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did not get this news either, thank you for sharing. It is truly a touching and powerful tale.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think she was a hero. I would like to know more about her. I will do some research on her. Thank you for sharing with us. Doylene

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful and touching story. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, to see a legend's face is remarkable. read anne frank's book years and years ago. thank you for helping me remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read the book and saw the movie but have never seen the face of the actual lady that helped hide them.
    Thanks for a great post...and for coming by. Hope you will come back often.
    I also noticed in your profile you lived in West Texas once. Any where near Lubbock?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!