Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Still, Small Voice



My cousin("in-law", actually) is Senior Pastor of a lovely congregation in Wauwatosa, WI. Here is an excerpt from their monthly newsletter that touched my heart and made me smile:


A week ago my friend, Maurleen, called with sad news: Her cat, Walter had disappeared. She feared he had jumped off the balcony of her second floor apartment while she was filling the bird feeders. Walter had disappeared before. This time, however, he was not to be found. Friends and neighbors walked and drove around the neighborhood searching; pictures were posted. They surrounded her with care and concern.

Maureen commented that Walter's loss was "just one more hurdle." Her husband had died some months before. So Walter had been company and comfort to her.

This afternoon I received another call from Maurleen: Walter had been found ... in the drawer of her old oak filing cabinet! While sitting in her bedroom, weeping, she heard the slightest sound. She opened a drawer and there was Walter! He seemed OK for a cat that had been without water or food for a week. A checkup with the vet the next morning confirmed that Walter was, indeed, OK.

After we ended our conversation my first thought was "what was lost, now is found" and of the Biblical stories of the widow who searched for her lost coin or the shepherd searching for the lost sheep.

And then I thought of how remarkable it was that when Maurleen was so sad, so lonely, a small voice called to her and she heard. Maybe she paused in looking long enough to listen.

In their book, Spiritual Literacy, Frederick and Mary Ann Brussart write about the importance of listening. "We begin our lives listening to the many sounds surrounding us in the womb. When we are dying, the last faculty to shut down is usually hearing. In between, there is so much to see that we seldom take time to cultivate the art of listening."

My four-year-old granddaughter, Gracie, is a chatterbox and I think she realizes that we sometimes "tune her out." So, when she wants my serious attention she says, "Grammie, can I tell you something?" And I listen.

It is as if God is saying, "Can I tell you something? I love you so much I am sending my son to tell you even more. Are you listening?"

21 comments:

  1. What a delightful story. It makes a wonderful point. I'm so glad the lost cat was found. Thank you for sharing with us today.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Charlotte said, this is a delightful story but to me it is much more--IT IS POWERFUL. What a needed story--and message. Thanks so much for posting this today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story and thought provoking post! Have a great weekend to you. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a story. My cat did the same thing only in a metal file cabinet. He,on the other hand, yowled loudly. I couldn't figure out where he was!! I don't know how he fit in there!! The file is in a closet and I looked high and low in the closet and finally out of desperation opened the file and out he popped---I still can't believe he fit in that tiny area since he is a large cat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet story! Just when it seemed all hope was lost...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The message of being quiet, being still, and listening for God's voice as He speaks...I have to quiet my mind to listen...He is always speaking to me...I'm always calling on Him...when I listen, I have wonderful results, just as the cat, mewing with his small voice to say "I'm here". God wants us to know He's here. Thanks so much for this very powerful message, so softly reflected in the love of a woman and her cat. Beautiful.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great story! I try to listen every day to what God is trying to tell me. That was a cute story about your granddaughter also.
    Thank-you for sharing this story.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mevely,
    Such an awesome post, I loved this story, and what a great message to me, Yes I need to listen to His voice more, thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this story and it tells such a profound truth. We so often times miss that still small voice. This was a great reminder. Thanks for sharing. Blessings to you, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its a wonderful story. Often times we miss listening and we loss His direction.
    Thank s for sharing.
    A blessed day,
    "My Spiritual Sunday Post"
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am amazed that Maureen closed that file cabinet drawer without realizing that Walter was inside. If it were me, I'd leave all doors open for ever more! Thank you for sharing. Have a good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a touching post, from start to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just want to personally thank you for your prayers. A appreciate it...Praising the Lord for answered prayers today! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The importance of listening! Good message. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, a sweet story and good lesson. When I lose something I ask God to show me where it is. And I have found that cats are good at hiding. I keep calling them, and I usually do hear a little sound.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Myra, That was a precious story and a good word for me today. Thank you! Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a special story. I'm so glad the pet was found safe and sound. A true little miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the visual of God talking and asking...Are you listening? The noise all around us blocks out His voice..quiet time is so important, isn't it.
    What a wonderful story about the lost cat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a great book - Ijust put it on hold at my library so that I could read it - I am always looking for good book recommendations - thank you for that!
    This is a wonderful post - a great reminder to slow down and listen to that still small voice that God wants us to hear so badly.
    Also a great reminder of the power or prayer. God knew this woman's deep need for companionship at that devastating time in her life and He provided -
    Beautiful!
    Blessings to you,
    Kymber

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful story. I'm glad that God is always ready to listen!

    Thanks for your visit to Family Fountain and nice comment on "Woe is Me."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!