Friday, October 30, 2009

My family might tell you I have a habit of recalling events by reminding them, “A month ago at this time we were …..” or, “A year ago we were ….” Maybe it is my own unique way of marking the passing of time.

In her amazing book Simple Abundance, Sarah Ban Breathnach has addressed “Secret Anniversaries of the Heart.” She writes, “Today I am thinking of singular rites of passage, the secret anniversaries of the heart. These are the anniversaries we never talk about, kept in silence and apart. You might remember a first kiss, while I can’t forget the last time I held my father’s hand.”

This month marks a personal such anniversary. Not a Big Event, exactly; rather a cluster of scenes, warmed by time and space. So, how does one observe a Silent Anniversary? Some light candles. I might raise a glass in salute. Most probably, I’ll just smile in quiet thanksgiving. It’s enough to remember, the way we were.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I adore the Simple Abundance books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of the book, but my husband use to pick up a little gift on the first day of a new season. I thought that was so cute.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy the Simple Abundance book also. It was so good to spend time getting to know you better the other day! Hope your weekend is going great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Myra!
    I have not heard of the Simple Abundance book, but will definitely be looking into it.

    I am so thrilled you popped by and loved my little post. I so love to write, and am finding my way back to it again.

    I am working on your little necklace as we speak. You will love it I promise.

    I will talk to you soon. Have a wonderful week sweetie. Country hugs and love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Excellent writing. I love this post. I think I would really like the book, Simple Abundance also. I had never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!