Saturday, October 17, 2009

I think you can learn a lot about God's love from a dog.

As one essayist wrote, "I am convinced that God made dogs to enable us to see grace from the grace-giver's perspective, rather than our usual position as a recipient of grace."

So, what does living with dogs teach us about God's grace? Dory illustrates:



He loves us even when we're yucky.
~ Aren't we like that sometimes before God? Sometimes we think we have an idea of our "yuckiness" before Him, but we don't know the half of it! Yet when we come before Him, He welcomes us anyway.
He works on just a few problems at a time.
~ God gives us what we can handle, and no more.
He knows what we want and need better than we do.
~ We think we know best what we want, but God knows better, and gives us every perfect gift at the perfect time.
He loves us even when we forget to be grateful.
~ God is pleased to provide for us, even when we forget to say "thanks."
He welcomes us back even when we've been away for a very long time.
~ Too long we neglect the Word and prayer, and yet when we remember God, He is there, willing to spend time with us.
He doesn't complain about how much trouble we are.
~ He never makes us feel that we aren't worth the trouble.


A Dog's Prayer for His Owner


O, Lord of humans, make my master faithful to his fellow men as I am to him. Grant that he may be as devoted to his friends and family as I am to him.

May he be open faced and undeceptive as I am; may he be true to trust reposed in him as I am to his.


Give him a face cheerful like unto my wagging tail. Give him a spirit of gratitude like unto my flicking tongue.


Fill him with patience like unto mine that awaits his footsteps uncomplainingly for hours. Fill him with my watchfulness, my courage, and my readiness to sacrifice comfort or life itself.


Keep him always young in heart and endowed with the spirit of play, as I am.


Make him as good a man as I am a dog.
And make him worth of me, his dog.


Amen
-- Anonymous

If dogs were like people they might eventually give up on us .. but they never do. Do you suppose, just perhaps, that God made dogs to show us a little something about Himself?

Maybe, "man's best friend" is really pointing us to the One who is truly our very Best Friend.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Mevely,
    What a cute post, and I so enjoyed reading the dog's prayer for his owner. I agree "man's best friend" is pointing us to our best Friend. The picture of the little boy and his dog praying is so precious. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cute post really blessed me, and was a wonderful and oh so true illustration. Thank you for sharing this. Blessings to you, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Mevely, you are one clever gal! I love the dog's prayer for his owner! And thank you for your beautiful prayer for my travels and week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Myra, I love that prayer, and I think that you have something there! I hope that you have a happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good "stuff" here. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank-you for this outlook on dogs, it was so cute.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good. We could learn a lot from all of God's creatures. Thank you for sharing this.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet sweet post and oh sooo very true. A dog loves us unconditionally no matter what, faithful no matter what, waits for us no matter how long....sounds just like our Heavenly Father!

    blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My DH loves getting greeting cards from the dog. I think I will put this on a card for him. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Myra, what a great post. I love the prayer. It is so true that we should often behave like our pets. I really look forward to meeting you Friday and so happy I found your blog. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!