Sunday, September 20, 2009

Touched by an Angel



I love the idea of angels! Yet, I used to resist the concept of angels just a little bit -- wanting to make sure I wasn’t worshipping something separate from God….rather, a clear expression of God. I love the image that angels are a protecting presence enfolding us, and the fact that when I think about angels my thoughts sort of lift up.

Now some people say. “Aren’t angels just good people who have died?” I don’t know! I think perhaps, they are divine ideas put in human form. It’s not too unusual that we would behold the presence of angels this way. We tend to see what we understand, and I think it is sort of natural for us to put good ideas with skin on them …so that we can feel a kind of connection, even humanness to it. It seems more benevolent, somehow to imagine God’s grace in flowing robes and lovely smiles, than to think of it just as a blinding light --though that, too, can be interpreted as an angel by some people.

In the Bible stories, angels keep cropping up, bringing messages that upset people and challenge people and change people and comfort people – sometimes all at once! But the one message they always share is, “Don’t be afraid.” Then, when we read the description, Heavenly hosts -- we’re given to understand this isn’t just a bunch of guys in white robes with harps. This was a massive display of soldiers in full and shining gear with armor and weapons ….all that would be required to fight some divine battle! Remember when Jesus was in the Garden of Gethsemane? He said, my Father can summon 12 legions of angels. Now, if He was going to summon legions of angels they must be pretty tough. They weren’t exactly the lovely diaphanous creatures that we like to think of. Instead, they are a little like say, the great NFL linebacker, Lawrence Taylor. If you want an angel to go before you, don’t you want somebody like that?!

I think it’s sad, in this post-modern culture where we’re so attuned to getting all the facts, that some people just dismiss what they can’t see, or touch or hear. Maybe children see angels better than we do, because they expect them. In the middle of play they might suddenly look off, just to the side where there was seemingly nothing… and smile. Did you ever see a baby do that? Of course, there’s that old saying, "They’re smiling at angels." I’m not so sure it’s just a saying.

Do you see the angels? They re all around us!

11 comments:

  1. Just found this on the web:

    Angels are spirit beings created by God

    Angels were created by God and were created separately from human beings. Thus they’re not human beings who have died and gone to heaven.

    There was more on this same site. I can't find it in scripture, but I was taught once that the angels are amazed that we humans worship God...because we dont have to, we choose to...that's pretty incredible!

    God bless,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have entertained some unawares!! What an awesome thought that is.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for leaving me a comment earlier. I'm so happy that you found the message in my post touching. As for angels, I believe they are all around us. I read a great book several years ago called "Angels in Our Midst: Encounters with Heavenly Messengers" that I found fascinating and inspirational. By the way, I have a small collection of angels and have the same exact one pictured above!

    Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so thankful for angels. I know mine have protected me many times. I like to pray to our Father to send angels (big ones) to protect my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an interesting post. I have read much about angels over the years and like so many other things in Scripture, I still don't know what to think about angels. I'm still studying. I have some definite opinions but that's all they are--just my opinions. Your comment about Lawrence Taylor put a big smile on my face. I guess I would like to have Lawrence running interference for me. I'm going to have to think about that one for a while. LOL Thanks for the post. Have a great week. (I'm going to write some comments to you in a few days about where we eat in Sedona.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I praise God for ministering angels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always thankful for angels guarding children--I know my grandchildren would probably not be living without them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Mary's comment.
    I am amazed at how popular angels are in our culture today.
    Hebrews 1:14 says "Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?" I think this is a very comforting scripture.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your post today. I can't wait to meet all the angles who have been my linebackers all my life. Thank-you so much for sharing this post with us today.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you ever read Frank Perretti's book "This Present Darkness"? It is a fiction novel, but it really makes you think about the spirit world and what it may look like all around us - what we CAN'T see. He tells of the angels around us who are protecting us at every turn as well as the demons who are clinging to our backs in the way of vices.

    OBVIOUSLY a book of fiction, but a very good book that really makes you think.

    Good post today - thank you for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Kymber

    ReplyDelete
  11. O, there's never been a doubt to me that angels are with us always. I'm pretty sure I have met some...one, in paticular. My sister in law always told me angels weren't in human form...but...I wonder!!
    Thanks, dear one, for stopping in to see me tonight.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!