Saturday, September 12, 2009

I want to wish a Happy Grandparents Day to all ~ whether you are a biological grandparent, or who simply stand as a loving, guiding example for our youth.
….. To my own “grands” and great-grands ~ no longer on this earthly plane, but whose presence lingers ~ particularly on those lazy afternoons when I heed the “itch” to go trolling through the family cedar chest….



Beatitudes of a Family Genealogist

Blessed are the great-grandfathers who saved embarkation and citizenship papers for these tell WHEN they came …

Blessed are the great-grandmothers who hoarded newspaper clippings and old letters for they tell the STORY of time

Blessed are the grandfathers who filed every legal document for these provided PROOF

Blessed are the grandmothers who preserved family Bibles and diaries for these are our HERITAGE …

Blessed are the fathers who elect officials who answer letters of inquiry … for some, the only LINK to the past ..

Blessed are the mothers who related family TRADITIONS and LEGENDS to the family … for one of her children will surely remember ..

Blessed are relatives who fill in family sheets with extra details for to them, we owe FAMILY HISTORY ..

Blessed is any family whose members strive for the PRESERVATION OF RECORDS, for this is a labor of love.

-- Wilma Mauk





16 comments:

  1. I did not realize it was grandparents day. I love having the documentation of family records. My cousin's wife and I are the family record keepers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful for every shred of family history. Our daughter has done extensive research on my family and my husband's family. She has done a wonderful service for many people on both sides of the family. Memories and traditions are so important. I love this post. Thank you for sharing it.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since Charlotte left a message already and I totally agree with what she said, I will just say, "Amen."

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful tribute.

    God bless you Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am one of those Grandmothers and am already blessed!!!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a cousin who worked for years on my mom's family tree. What a cherished treasure that is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a nice tribute, blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice tribute and reminder of all those we love and care about in the world of grandparents! I am a grandmother of 16 and know how richly blessed I am...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thank the Lord everyday for the fact that I'm a grandmother. What a lovely post, thank-you so much. When my grandchildren get there first adult, bible I'm going to trace my hand on a empty page and someday when I am gone they will place there hand in mine, I hope this will encourge them to follow the Lord even more.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love family history (or any history), so I enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Inspiring post. Thank God for the gift of having families He gives us. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    I am one of those Moms and Gramma's that have recorded some of our family stories for future generations. It is something I enjoy...and I enjoyed this post very much! Thanks!


    Blessings,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Myra,
    I have kept some records as have been passed on to me through my beloved auntie. I love tradition, especially when it pertains to family. My youngest son is particularly interested in it, so it will be kept up through him. Thank you for your post; enjoyed it very much. Have a wonderful week.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Does this mean that someday the many journals I write will be cherished????? Happy grandparent day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful post. Love the beatitudes.
    sharing my previous post"SpiritualSunday"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!