Friday, August 14, 2009

OK, show of hands! How many of you know what I’m talking about when I say, “We woke yesterday morning to a real 'toad-frog strangler'!”

While Floridian’s often refer to rain as “liquid sunshine”, some old-timers in West Texas use that phrase to describe a sudden, steady downpour.

One of Arizona’s biggest charms ~ at least for me ~ is its relative lack of rainfall. I mean, it just gets in the way, sometimes flooding the river-bottom, forcing one (or more) detours on my way to work. (Even in bone-dry conditions, I'll avoid I-10 like the plague!)

Due to the weather conditions, at first I had trouble seeing clearly. Accordingly, I adjusted my speed and moved to the right, allowing 3-4 NASCAR wannabe’s a wide berth. They’re racing in the rain! Maybe I’m not such a crotchety old broad … but rather, a bit envious? It’s an art, after all.

(You know where this is going, don’t you?!)

I recently finished reading Garth’s Stein’s delightful book, “The Art of Racing in the Rain.” What can I say but, “Step aside, Marley. There’s a new dog in town!”

Had it not been recommended by someone I really admire, it’s doubtful I’d have given this book a second glance. While I’m crazy for canines, auto-racing isn’t exactly my cup of tea.

Understandably, one reviewer penned: “Don't be scared away from this book by the title. The ‘racing in the rain’ is a metaphor for life. Enzo, the narrator, is a dog who wants nothing more than to be a man. His master races cars for a living and Enzo refers to everything in his life by way of racing metaphors.... but this book is so much more.”

In the space of a day, I laughed, I cheered and of course, I sobbed like a little girl. (Maybe it’s best not to read this book in public?)

Some readers have observed, “Viewing the world through a dog’s eyes makes for a greater appreciation of being human.” I don’t know about that, but have to agree with the man who wrote, “I’ve caught myself staring at my own dog, thinking, Hmmm…..”

2 comments:

  1. You've got my curiousity! I wrote down the name of this book!

    Thank you for your kind comments you leave me and your precious prayers for my family. I will look up your email and fill you in! Blessings to you today.

    Luv,
    Mary
    PS: You weren't kidding about I-10.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!