Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Child's Prayer

I hope everyone enjoyed a safe and fun holiday? (Yes, I’ve finally reached the age where I can pair those two adjectives without an accompanying eye-roll!)

We were so blessed last week ...to drink in the sight of my granddaughters happy faces and hear their giggles ….not a care in the world!

What contrast then, spotting this child’s prayer when searching on-line for today's post. Hers is just one example of the reality too many children face every day.

Oh, what precious liberties we’ve been afforded … and so often, presumed. I pray that I never again take for granted our freedoms and the gifts He bestows! Sometimes, “thank you” seems terribly inadequate.

A Child's Prayer for Kosovo
Dear God,

My parents say that a long time ago, You came down in Person to live with us and to teach us to love each other. But now my parents tell me to be careful not to even talk too much to the neighbors because a lot of them don't love us. Why is this? Was it something I said? Something I did? I don't remember doing anything to anyone that would make them hate my whole family! But I'm sure sorry for it, if I did!

Thank You for not allowing our house to be burned down, too. Please
protect my best friend's family, wherever they live now. Please protect the
school where I still go whenever I can, even though sometimes people throw rocks
at the school bus. Some of those rocks used to be in the walls of our church,
where my family went every Sunday to talk toYou, God! Why did they tear down the church? God, why do You let people do things like that? Wasn't that Your house?
I will build another house for You someday, God, if I can.

And please, if it's not too much trouble, help us to get some more food
because I'm hungry almost all the time. And I'm starting to get cold, too. If
You can, make those angry people less angry so they'll stop trying to burn down
our houses and make us move. Best friends shouldn't have to say 'good-by.'

Amen.

9 comments:

  1. A touching prayer! Help us, dear Lord, to never take our freedoms for granted; nor the many blessings You have poured out upon us.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this certainly gives us something to think about. We live a very sheltered life here in America. Thank you for sharing with us.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful blessing. Thank you so much for sharing with me this morning. As always I am always so happy to have a new BLOGGER stop by, and especially one in Arizona like me. How fun is that? What golf course do you work at? Looks like you had a wonderful time in Florida, but I agree that tooth will have to be fixed. Thank goodness the parents are used to their problem child. That was me growing up, the problem child, an accident looking for a child to happen with. That was me too. So happy you stopped by. I too will be back. Please stay in touch. Country Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome prayer , and so much to think about. May we always know how blessed as a Nation we are!Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate that any child would need to pray this prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a sobering thought and good reason to pray for our country every day. I'm glad you had a good time with your grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This touches my heart. I will just say "Amen" to all the other comments. Thank you for this good post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are many things we enjoy that we shouldn't take for granted. Freedom tops 'em all. That child's prayer only represents the thousands more we haven't heard of.May God be with them and ease their pain. Thanks for sharing that. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a touching prayer, it brought tears to my eyes.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!