Saturday, June 6, 2009

To Everything There is a Season

Could it be? After nearly 7 years in the Valley of the Sun, have I finally acclimated?

Stepping out back last evening, I paused. Is that a shiver? About, face… back inside, to trade my sleeveless tank for long sleeves. Never mind that the therms read 80-something; that DH’s Midwestern cousins regarded me so strangely!

So long now, I’ve professed to desparately Dislike the extreme heat -- leaving more than one person to wonder, why I elected to move here in the first place? Simply, the “WOW” factor far outweighs any periods of discomfort. Sounds like a tired cliché, but the mountains and desert landscape call to my heart like the fabled Lorelei.

Last year I had a particularly vivid nightmare ~ odd in itself, since I don’t normally dream -- or at least, I don’t remember:
The media, broadcasting emergency dispatches: “130-degrees by sun-up -- and climbing.” …. Fire engines being dispatched to hose the syrupy asphalt. Me, imploring hubby, “We must run!”

Belatedly, I’ve come to realize that all the belly-aching in the world won’t change a whit! Instead, I try and focus on how very fortunate we are …. on our military men and women who stoically endure far more (unimaginable) extremes.

Rather than dread the summer’s sunrise, I evoke a favorite Unity prayer: “The Light of God surrounds us, the Love of God enfolds us.” (Never mind that sometimes His hug's a tidge too warm.)

And finally, I wonder how can any Believer in the Hereafter not be inclined to “clean up their act” after experiencing summer in Phoenix? What a divine prompt!

1 comment:

  1. I've never experienced summer in your area. We reach 40's (about 110) some summers but it's usually for shorter periods.It's great for swimming though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!