Saturday, June 13, 2009

Spiritual Sundays


I adore questions! ... at least those which provoke Thought.
No wonder then, that I gravitated to, "If Questions for the Soul" by best-selling authors Evelyn McFarlane and James Saywell.

While I don’t go ‘round with the book in one hand and a virtual microphone in the other; I do find it therapeutic, in partnership with prayer, to exercise these old brain cells. Often times, the questions serve to put my mind in a more peaceful place just prior to sleep.

Today’s post isn’t intended to solicit anyone else’s (deeply personal) answers. That would be rude, wouldn't it? Perhaps, the publisher says it best:

The ultimate task we face in life is the process of finding and accepting our true selves, our souls. It’s often too scary, too overwhelming, or too time-consuming to begin the whole introspective process of self-discovery. So we often don’t look. But what we forget – or maybe never know – about soul-searching is that this process can deeply rewarding.

Here’s but a sampling.

  • If you had to pick the most sacred spot you’ve ever seen, where would it be?

  • If you could have met one religious figure from history, who would you choose?

  • If you were to add an 11th Commandment, what would it be?

  • If you were to describe the time or activity that makes you feel most spiritual, what would you say it was?

  • If you could have prevented one religious event, which one would
    you pick?

  • If you were to make a religious site out a place that currently
    isn’t one, which would it be?

  • If you were to select the religious symbol that means the most to you personally, what would you choose?

  • If you could add one annual religious holiday, what would it be for and when would it be?


    • I hope you all will thoroughly enjoy your beautiful new week!

      10 comments:

      1. I thought I posted my comment, but it seems to have gone away. I'll try it again.
        I think the main reason we don't do more soul searching like this is laziness. You pose some interesting things to think about.
        Thank you for making me think.
        Have a great Spiritual Sunday.
        Charlotte

        ReplyDelete
      2. Wow! What great questions! I really have to think about these as there is only one question I can answer outright: "describe the time or activity when you feel most spiritual" and I would have to say that it is my prayer time. I really feel closer to God at that time than any other. Thanks for these make-you-think questions.

        ~Blessings,
        Jean

        ReplyDelete
      3. My first comment didn't post so I'm trying again. This is an excellent post. I love the questions. I will be thinking about them and my answers for a long time. Thanks for posting.

        ReplyDelete
      4. A new commandment. Okay, now I've laughed out loud twice this morning, so I'm thinking in a happy, silly mood. Keeping that in mind, I'll add an 11th commandment.

        Thou shalt not talk loudly in public on thy cell phone.

        ReplyDelete
      5. This is a great post! Wouldn't those be fun discussion questions for a bible study?

        ReplyDelete
      6. WOW~~ These questions are something to think about that's for sure.
        Ginger

        ReplyDelete
      7. Myra:
        I experience the most spirituality when I am in a crisis...then I'm hanging on to Jesus with everything I have!

        You are my kind of girl. I get teased because I carry my "Ungame" cards in my purse with me. I love to ask discussion questions.

        This is a wonderful post. I'm going to read it again and think about my answers some more!!!!!

        ReplyDelete
      8. Hi Myra,
        Great post! Very fun and interesting questions!
        Thanks for visiting me! I'm a little late getting around to everyone because we were away yesterday! I may use these questions as ice-breakers for our Bible studies, if you don't mind! Have a wonderful week.

        Blessings,
        Sandi

        ReplyDelete
      9. Wonderful, thought provoking questions!

        I will have to look for that book. Sounds like a good one to use for a Bible study group
        Blessings to you,
        Kymber

        ReplyDelete
      10. Wow those are some great thought provoking questions. Nothing even pops into my mind right away for ANY of them. I think I would enjoy that book as well. Thanks for sharing it.

        ReplyDelete

      Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!