Friday, June 12, 2009

Reach Out!

Most business days, I'm still amazed by the sheer amount of unsolicited e-mails ('junk') that arrive ... just hoping against hope I'll sucker up to whatever they're pitching. Thank goodness for Outlook's "preview pane," or this may have joined the others in my cyber toilet.
Excerpted from Inside Hotel OnLine today ....


There was a woman that I dated about a year ago. As what usually happens with me, it wasn’t meant to be but we remained friends. She lives in North Carolina and I live in Atlanta so I never see her, but like many we stay connected through Facebook.

I got a text from her about a week ago and since it was basically gibberish I ignored it. I then received an e-mail from her saying that she hadn’t seen me online and was worried about me. I probably overreacted a bit and replied by asking if she was really worried about me.

Does anybody remember the old days before the Internet when we thought of somebody we picked up the phone and called them? I told her if she was really worried, why didn’t she call?

Then I started thinking of how many people I could call and never do. I send an e-mail to catch up with people, I exchange messages on Facebook or other social media sites. I recently received an e-mail from Minot Osborne who told me after 18 years with the same company he was moving on so I picked up the phone and called him. It was so much fun catching up with him. But did I really have to wait for this news to call him? How many people are there that I should call just to say hello.

Sure we can all claim we are busy, but couldn’t we pick a moment on occasion to call somebody we haven’t talked to in awhile? I remember many years ago when there was only one phone company and there were television commercials encouraging people to use the phone. The message was simply that the best call to make was the one that you didn’t need to make.

All these years later I still believe it is a great message. Think about it.


- Siegel Sez



2 comments:

  1. Keeping in touch is always one of my New Year's resolution. Unfortunately, like exercising and the other resolutions, I don't keep these resolutions throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts you have here. Even a short note can make someone's day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!