Saturday, June 20, 2009

Father's Day

Sometimes flamboyant .. often enthusiastic... consistently principled, my dad rarely spoke of his Faith. Rather, that Preacher's Kid lived it every day by example. He taught me to pray, and made certain I accompanied he and my mother to church each Sunday ... even those mornings when I didn't much want to go!


He's been gone nearly 30 years now, but I still "talk" to him regularly.
Years ago, I tried explaining why I could no longer patronize that church in which I was baptized and later, confirmed. His church. The church of 3 generations of pastors who went before. Initially, I believed he would be cross ~ now, not so much. No matter the venue, he would be satisfied knowing that my Faith has strengthened. Because he loved me.

While attending Unity Clearwater a few years ago I came across this prayer. Perhaps it's not the author's intent, but missing my dad I was comforted by these words:

Even though I cannot be with you, even though I cannot see you or talk with you, I am as close to you as a thought. I am as near to you as the love I feel for you in my heart. Whenever I think of you, I bless you, and my love encircles you.


I do not worry about you. I know that God is watching over you, that God is your health, your strength, your source of supply, your happiness and your peace of mind.

Wherever you are, God is. Wherever I am, God is. God is watching over us while we are absent one from the other and making us to know that we are forever together in Spirit.


“The Lord watch between you and me, when we are absent one from the other.” (Gen. 31:49).

Happy Father's Day!

11 comments:

  1. What a great tribute to your father. Thank you for sharing it with us. Have a wonderful Father's Day and Spiritual Sunday.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comforting words on Father's Day for those of us who miss our dads. My dad went home 19 years ago. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiufl pryaer, I'm glad you shared it today.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet prayer. Isn't Heaven wonderful. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful, comforting prayer. Your Dad sounds like he was a wonderful man. You were so blessed to have him in your life. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. Comforting, encouraging words for all fathers who are trying to live like your father lived.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A comforting post! Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful Sunday.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful prayer!!! A wonderful and loving tribute to your father!!!

    God bless you!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely loved that prayer. I had never heard it before. Thank you so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Myra,
    This is a beautiful tribute to your Father. Thank you for sharing it with us on Spiritual Sunday and Father's Day.

    Blessings,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another thoughtful, beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!