Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Pain? What pain?

Ladies, do you recall your first pair of high-heels?

Around my 13th year I was permitted my first pair of Sunday ½”-ers …. which, of course, required several nights’ practice steps (wobble, wobble). A love affair was born!!!

For decades, my office attire included stockings and heels. So what if my feet were killing me?! According to the American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society, 8 out of every 10 women surveyed admit that their shoes cause them pain.

Still I’d insist, “Sensible shoes are ug-ly!” The important thing, by wearing high heels, “one creates the illusion of long legs, small feet, slender ankles and well-defined calves.”

After last Summer’s Incident and ensuing physical therapy, my choices in footwear became way limited. Then, what do you know? One day I realized that “sensible shoes” had surreptitiously become my allies …my feet actually liked me again. Next stop, the Naturalizer shop ....and I’ll have officially turned into my own mother!

But! This morning I unearthed a pair of 3-1/2” heels that positively cried to be worn with a certain skirt. (God hates a coward, right?) I made it nearly 9 hours before crying uncle.

Once in a while a gal’s gotta pay the piper.

4 comments:

  1. I love heels also but now I'm a bit "lower". Really love looking at all the new styles that are a mile high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't even attempt it....Can't afford a broken leg at this stage HA

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been years since I've been able to wear heels. In fact, I'm in the Super Ugly custom shoes--the yucky ones with the two-inch padded soles. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!