Saturday, May 16, 2009

Every Song, a Prayer?

Please. feel free to click on the Spiritual Sundays button (on the sidebar) to visit Charlotte and Ginger’s heartwarming get-together.

Suppose I was in my 50’s before I experienced so-called “contemporary” music being performed in a sanctuary. Sunday worship settings at our church were accompanied by the requisite organ, perhaps an occasional bell choir.. that’s it.
But there, in a different venue, brass instruments, electric guitars and drums peacefully coexisted with the keyboard… and yes, enhanced the feeling!

Perhaps that was the germ that took root in my subconscious? At any rate, a few weeks ago I’d begun my morning commute with a heavy heart … no particular reason, but burdened all the same by some ambiguous “funk.” Then, when I turned on the radio, here the Beach Boys were advising: “Don’t Worry, Baby … Everything will turn out Alright.”

Since then, I try and identify those “regular” songs ~ non-intentionally Christian ~ which might also be considered prayerful. I’ve jotted down a few…. of course, with apologies to the lyricists for changing a word here and there.

Just in Time …Sinatra
I’ll Follow The Sun (Son) .. Beatles
Love (Lord) Lift us up where we belong ... from An Officer and a Gentleman
Save the Last Dance for Me
Stand by Me
How do I begin, to tell the story of how great a love can be? .. from The Godfather?
Happy Heart …..Andy Williams
Age of Aquarius (Let the Sunshine (Son shine) in …) … am I stretching here?

What do you know … spiritual messages are everywhere! Have you already identified some of your own? I’m going to pay more attention!

Have a WONDER-full new week!

12 comments:

  1. Very, very interesting! This is really thought provoking. I listen to all kinds of music. I will now listen in a different way. Thanks for this....I thought of you and your husband this week when Charlotte and I dropped by the 4oth Street Cafe for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting point of view! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Sunday.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post! I'm going to pay attention as I listen to music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I'm totally with you on this. I play the love songs on my satellite tv on days I'm home cleaning and every now and then I sing a tune to Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the sky that we look upon
    Should tumble and fall
    And the mountains should crumble to the sea
    I won't cry, I won't cry, no I won't shed a tear
    Just as long as you stand, stand by me

    Stand By Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do that too! You've Got a Friend-James Taylor Bridge Over Troubled Water... The list is endless! All things were made by Him for Him...Love the post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is truly something to think about. I will do just that for now on.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. This reminds me of the song He's Got the Whole World in His Hands that was so popular years ago. I love music, pretty music that is. Some of the rock type songs that are most screaming than singing I don't like at all.
    Have a great day and thanks for sharing these thoughts with us.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun post! I agree that we can enjoy and feel blessed from all types of music!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for your post I will be hearing music in such a different way. God can certainly use anything.
    God bless you!
    Melly:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my first time to visit your blog. This is a great post. Thanks for sharing. May I add you as a favorite? I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!