Saturday, March 21, 2009

I'd Rather Fight Than Switch!

That old Taryton ad’s not been seen in like, forever, but their motto’s embedded in my “gray matter.” I was reminded of that tag just this morning, hearing another shopper remark to her companion, “I miss not having to shop for generics.”

Now, I depend on DH for so many things … particularly his shopping savvy. While I’d flunk “The Price is Right” in the first 5 minutes, he actually enjoys the shopping experience. Wise to weekly specials and cost comparisons, he’s probably saved us umpteen dollars over the years.

And slowly but surely, I’m making a real effort to catch on. I sure don’t want to be confused with the creature (whom I’m embarrassed to admit is a relative) who wrote on her Christmas card, “We’ve decided not to participate in the recession this year.” Unbelievable.

Here's a ‘for instance’ I can personally vouch for: My mother’s old recipe for an all-in-one bathroom cleaner that's totally replaced several “mainstream” brands in our household: 1 part water, 1 part vinegar, 1 part ammonia (in a spray bottle): Put-it-all-together-and-shake-it-all-about.

Back to generics. While I applaud their efforts, more than a few are just plain sorry. In the manner of MC Hammer’s, "You Can’t Touch This!" … a few of my own “keepers” include: Best (aka Hellman’s) Mayonaisse, Dasani, Bounty, Charmin, Palmolive ...etc., ad nauseum.

So, have you had any real success with generic or "off" brands? I promise not to tell the folks on Madison Avenue!

4 comments:

  1. To be honest, all of my paper products, cleaning products, canned food items, even my meds are all generic. Yep, we have our dr's order rx's from the four dollar list at Wal-mart. I do buy brand named mayo, Heinz catsup, and good bread. Everything else pretty much is generic in our household! Just call me a cheap chick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post.....evoked some stong memories but think for the most part we have come to understand that the name doesn't always make the difference and if it is the same but cheaper...I vote for cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corgidogmama, Cheap IS chique! I'd totally forgot about canned goods and other staple foodstuffs. You're so right; we can't tell the difference.

    Thanks for the Rx reminder. I'm going to ask my doctor for a new script to take to Wal-Mart. Even if I realize but a $6-savings, that's nothing to sneeze at!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love a certain brand generic mushroom soup. Beats Cam*bells - only available in Canada, I suppose. It's Western family mushroom soup.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!