Tuesday, March 3, 2009

...For Those Who Peril on the Sea

Pardon, but I’m feeling a bit emotional this evening.

I’ve never met Marquis Cooper, Corey Smith nor their two buddies. Still, for the past few days I’ve been pretty much riveted to news reports from Florida’s gulf coast. Rejoicing when Nick Schuyler was located, now sick at heart to learn the U.S. Coast Guard has called off the search for his 3 comrades.

Having lived in and about Clearwater for many years, I once enjoyed deep-sea excursions on those same waters, crowing with unbridled glee when the waves grew choppy. Go figure -- I’m the gal next to you on an airplane who’ll stiffen and pale at the slightest bump … but put me in a boat in rough seas and I’m grinning ear-to-ear. “
Obviously, Saturday’s weather conditions were worse, much worse than anyone might imagine.

So, despite this computer’s ailing speaker system, I’ve stayed tuned to my “alma mater”, WTSP-TV for their round-the-clock coverage. (Can I say “alma mater” about a business? Having worn the badge for near a decade, I vote “yes.”) It appears the entire Tampa Bay community ~ heck, perhaps the whole nation ~ has been caught up in the saga.

Well, they weren’t the first and probably won’t be the last unfortunate fishermen we read about in the news. ‘Just didn’t know I’d really be missing those great smiles.

1 comment:

  1. My deepest sympathies to the families and yes, to followers of the story. My greatest fear is somehow they are still alive, clinging to something.That didn't sound right but you know what I mean. Hopefully private searches find them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!