Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sing, sing a song .....

During the late 90’s, a certain Tampa Bay radio station began their morning drive-time with a shtick dubbed the “Morning Musical Virus.” Designed to annoy and/or captivate listeners, they’d spin a long-forgotten, yet upbeat ditty -- certain to stick in our subconscious minds ALL the live-long day. For instance ...

Raise your hand if you’ve have had the pleasure(?) of experiencing Disney’s “It’s a Small World” attraction. After a few days, did you want to throttle someone? “Stop the voices in my head!”

These days, one of the reasons I so enjoy “my” KOY, I never know what to expect from their playlists! (And, I sense my father’s chucking somewhere above at his Beatles-loving daughter … who not only remembers the lyrics of songs from his era, but actually enjoys them!)

It’s probably not intentional, but I suspect this program director has a bit of mischief up his own sleeve. Just last week, following a sweet song by Pat Boone (or was it Nat King Cole?) ~ without warning, here come the distinctive notes of Soul City Symphony’s “The Hustle.” My left foot begins tapping the floorboard, fingers beat an accompaniment on the steering wheel. Whoo…. ooooh-o-o-oh-whooh!

By the time I’ve arrived at work, the virus has embedded itself in my brain: I’m humming it at my desk, whispering enroute to the ladies room, tapping my fingernails at the round table. (DO the Hustle! Ba-ba-ba-ba …ba-ba-BA-ba-YA!) By now, my co-workers ~ most, younger than my own son ~ are shooting me suspicious glances.

What to do, where to hide? Will someone please shut off the loop …. I didn’t even much like the disco era!
...But I sure appreciate those chaps who allow me to revisit the music of my life!

3 comments:

  1. I hate it when I get a song in my head that won't go away especially if it is a song I don't like. Everybody who has ever been to Disneyland probably gets stuck for a while with the Small World song in their mind. Cute post.
    Re hamburgers and your comment on my blog. I like Fuddruckers too. I especially like their fries. The ones at Ken's Creekside are better - in my opinion. lol
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny Maverly! How well we can all relate to some annoying little ditty playing over, and over and over in our minds. Love your sense of humor:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often get that song. "Itsy, Weeny, yellow polka dot bikini" in my head.Drives me nuts - glad I'm not the only one:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!