Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Room with a View


I really believe God knows when I need a laugh. (Don’t we all?)

‘Arrived at work yesterday morning, realizing it was high-time to address the stack of guest complaints sitting on my desk. Somewhat weary, I’d been ready for Friday by Wednesday morning!

Bit o’background: Each and every one of our departing guest’s "Customer Satisfaction" surveys is reviewed by our management team, then responded to, whether it be a simple “thank you,” a heartfelt apology, or an offer of a complimentary return stay.

Now, there are few things in life I Loathe more than form letters; in a word, I think they’re Insulting ~ so I like to personalize my responses; to let someone know we're listening. Sometimes this can be a time-consuming process.

Mid-morning, here comes another on-line survey ~ this one a lowly-scored, vehement complaint. “John Doe’s” not a happy camper. (Sigh.)
I swear, the following is excerpted word-for-word:

We requested an ocean-view room 8 months in advance and were NOT told it would be impossible to have that option.

Huh???!!!
Not once, but 3 times throughout the survey “John Doe” makes mention of not being afforded ocean-front accommodations. (Note to self: You mean I’ve been in Phoenix nearly 7 years and you’ve been hiding the ocean all this time?)

Had I not been able to authenticate its origin, I’d have bet good money this was a joke. (Tongue-in-cheek, proposal: “I am truly sorry for closing the Ocean without proper notification during your visit. Having discovered seaweed everywhere during the morning inspection, we were forced to close it immediately.")

Now, I’ve done and said a LOT of Stupid things in my life … and I have to surmise this gentleman had, perhaps, visited one of our sister properties in Hawaii or California .... but this was exactly what I needed to just let loose and laugh.

Rectangular in shape, well-rounded by character, Arizona’s pretty “Alllll Riiiight!!!” in my eyes, but last I checked, we’re lacking any ocean-front views. Might this be a good time to roll out a form letter?

2 comments:

  1. I don't blame you for getting frustrated, and I love your sense of humor! I hope you're keeping this stuff for a book!

    Thanks for stopping by my new blog, and your nice comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A case of "mouth in motion before brain"?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!