Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cinematography and the Heart

I hope everyone awoke this post-Valentines morning, feeling warm and gratified.
Our day? Come late afternoon, DH and I just looked at one another across two humongous steaks he’d put out to thaw ……… both too full from lunch to even think of devouring the intended feast. One thing we are rather good at, improvisation! DH proposed throwing together some warm snick-snacks and popping in a DVD. Perfect, I’ll go put on my “good” pjs!

Now, neither of us would score many points in a “movie” trivia contest; it’s been MONTHS since we went to the theater or rented a movie.

Speaking for myself …. I’ll sometimes elect to watch repeats of films that push me out of my comfort zone. Those that reach inside and somehow twwww-ist my innards …challenge my pre-conceived notions … and sometimes, evoke Grief too deep for tears. Off the top of my head, those might include ….Saving Private Ryan, The Green Mile, The Deer Hunter, Castaway. (I’m still holding a grudge that Tom Hanks’ brilliant performance in the latter didn’t garner him an Oscar, but that’s another story.)

So, last night we opted to watch “Gone, Baby, Gone.” Yes, we’d seen it before, but DH couldn’t recall the beginning. For anyone who might be reading this and going, “Huh?” … GBG was little-known (to us anyway) with few recognizable actors, save the great Morgan Freeman. The language is pretty raw (wince), difficult to watch in places, but it’s surprisingly Believable.

Just like the first time we watched, DH and I found ourselves impassionedly (albeit carefully) debating its conclusion for more than an hour after the credits rolled. No, I’m not going to spill the beans, but I dee-double-dare anyone who thinks they believe one way, to come out the other end still feeling sure of those beliefs.

So, if you’re still reading this and feel up for a Challenge, do check out this extreme case of “W.W.J.D.?” …and maybe share your own thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a good Valentine's Day. I agree with you on the Tom Hanks performance in Castaway. I almost felt like it was me on that island talking to that soccer ball. Or was it a volley ball? Whatever, it was so heart wrenching.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!