Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Over the River n' Through The Woods

Giving Thanks

I'm tickled to join Kelli and friends today, to participate in her Giving Thanks Celebration week. Thanks for having us over, Kelli!

So, here's the scoop from our spot in the desert:

Hubby's due to confer with his daughter any day now re. who gets to host this year's Thanksgiving feast.
My bet's on Daughter ... hers is the most central locale, plus she's less inclined to stress than if they wind up schlepping their brood to our place.
6 years now, I've been privy to this tug-of-war ... and I'm still awed at her ease, both in the kitchen and hosting the multitudes.

Ah, I'll never forget the look on Hubby's face our first year together. I asked, "So, where would you like to go for Thanksgiving?"
Go out for Thanksgiving?!? He regards me as though I'd suddenly sprouted 3 heads.

I'm serious. Deep roots; my father's voice: "Lum and I both work hard all year. I'm not going to ask her to spend her holiday in the kitchen!" After all, it was just the 3 of us; our nearest relatives lived thousands of miles away.

So after carefully researching the travel sections, we'd pack our bags for a brief getaway. Choice of dining was also critical since none of us were fond of turkey (i.e., limited holiday menus). More echos: "I think I'm going to be thankful for a steak this year."

As an adult, I've been curious to learn of others' holiday traditions. For instance, a friend once shared stories of his annual "Orphan Thanksgiving" -- he and his wife would invite co-workers who had no nearby family nor means to travel. Then, with a chuckle he'd add: "This year we're going to be thankful for ribs!".

Now, Hubby is a marvelous cook and thoroughly enjoys himself in the kitchen. This is Fortunate, being I've never prepared a bird in my life ... and honestly don't yearn to learn. Give me the clean-up detail any day!

Though I'm still not fond of turkey, I've come to realize that Thanksgiving isn't so much about the choice of entree as it is us all putting aside any petty differences and being together, bumps, warts n' all.
Just in case, I'll be sure to eat a big breakfast beforehand!

3 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a fun read! Have a wonderful TG no matter what you do or where you go!
    God bless,
    Brenda :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One year many many years ago our family and my hubby's brother & family all went to a cafeteria for Thanksgiving dinner. We never did that again. It couldn't compete with good homemade food and no left overs.
    We've had turkey at home or at a relative's house ever since. Luckily I love turkey and dressing but it wouldn't be all that good without the cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes and . . . .
    Have a great day!
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!